+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refusal

Jun 29, 2019
Hi,
I applied for study permit along with my Husband and one of my two daughters. We were refused. I am 38years.
Program Applied for: MA Natural resources and enviornmental sciences

Previous qualification (Both from Nigeria) MSc Environmental and resource planning
BSc Geography
Documents submitted
Paper route
1. Admission letter
2. Tuition for first year
3. Letter of explanation
4. Police report
5. Tbills statement, Bank statement and. Support letters from Dad and Uncle in law (Totalling 60,000 CDN)
6. Landed property document in spouse name
7. Pension certificate.
8. Study leave Letter from employer
9. Passports
10. Birth certificates
11. Educational certificates/transcripts

I was refused on the grounds of purpose of visit that i may not return back to my home country.
I have decided to reapply alone first and if successful, for my family too. Please i need advice on how to make a stronger application and anyone willing to read my new sop which will (i have put to explain the need for another masters and in a similar field with the previous) . I have chosen not to wait for gcms notes as i want to reapply to meet up with the september 2019 admissions if successful.

Thank you for your time

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
I applied for study permit along with my Husband and one of my two daughters. We were refused. I am 38years.
Program Applied for: MA Natural resources and enviornmental sciences

Previous qualification (Both from Nigeria) MSc Environmental and resource planning
BSc Geography
Documents submitted
Paper route
1. Admission letter
2. Tuition for first year
3. Letter of explanation
4. Police report
5. Tbills statement, Bank statement and. Support letters from Dad and Uncle in law (Totalling 60,000 CDN)
6. Landed property document in spouse name
7. Pension certificate.
8. Study leave Letter from employer
9. Passports
10. Birth certificates
11. Educational certificates/transcripts

I was refused on the grounds of purpose of visit that i may not return back to my home country.
I have decided to reapply alone first and if successful, for my family too. Please i need advice on how to make a stronger application and anyone willing to read my new sop which will (i have put to explain the need for another masters and in a similar field with the previous) . I have chosen not to wait for gcms notes as i want to reapply to meet up with the september 2019 admissions if successful.

Thank you for your time
Leaving your family off of the application will strengthen your application. It would also be better if you and your husband can sponsor your studies on your own instead of relying on your father and uncle.

Keep in mind that if you are approved, there is no guarantee that your spouse and children will be approved if they apply later.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Already having a masters and applying for another in the same field is going to make it extremely difficult for an approval. There is no progression in you education.

Jun 29, 2019
Leaving your family off of the application will strengthen your application. It would also be better if you and your husband can sponsor your studies on your own instead of relying on your father and uncle.

Keep in mind that if you are approved, there is no guarantee that your spouse and children will be approved if they apply later.

Yes. Thanks Presently i am sponsoring myself in the present Application.

The part of my spouse and kids not being approved does it have to do with the initial rejection?

Jun 29, 2019
Already having a masters and applying for another in the same field is going to make it extremely difficult for an approval. There is no progression in you education.

Yeah i hope to explain that the new program has a different course content and positions for new areas of research which is helpful for my present work as researcher

Reactions: rembrandt2040

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
That would be more of a reason to do a PhD. Did you have a good job? Were you the sole earner?

Given your likely situation, your age, asking for your wife and child to accomoany you and the fact that Canada has seen a large influx of asylum seekers from Nigeria your applications scream immigration not genuine studet. Is your other child in univeristy?

Family members of international student are never guaranteed a visa or permit.

Jun 29, 2019
That would be more of a reason to do a PhD. Did you have a good job? Were you the sole earner?

Given your likely situation, your age, asking for your wife and child to accomoany you and the fact that Canada has seen a large influx of asylum seekers from Nigeria your applications scream immigration not genuine studet. Is your other child in univeristy?

Family members of international student are never guaranteed a visa or permit.
My MSc degree was 65%. So this was not competitive enough for a PhD program as i have applied for such im the past 3 years.
Yes i work with the University as a lecturer. So i intend to do this program acquire requisite research skills and return to my home institution with the hope of applying to an online PhD which will enable me work in my home Uni while furthering my studies.
Unfortunately i did not explain this explicitly in my first sop.
My first daughter is 5years and the second is younger however she holds a passport that will enabl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My MSc degree was 65%. So this was not competitive enough for a PhD program as i have applied for such im the past 3 years.
Yes i work with the University as a lecturer. So i intend to do this program acquire requisite research skills and return to my home institution with the hope of applying to an online PhD which will enable me work in my home Uni while furthering my studies.
Unfortunately i did not explain this explicitly in my first sop.
My first daughter is 5years and the second is younger however she holds a passport that will enabl
If your other child was born in US, Canada, European country, etc.while you were visiting that may be another reason for refusal. 65% is very low for a Canadian masters as well. What school did you get into?

Jun 29, 2019
Yes that was the case my child was born while we visited.

My undergraduate program was 3.9/5, while my MSc was 65%.

My current MA admission is at UNBC