+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit - Received Visa But Couldn't Travel [Please HELP!!]

aaq.john11

Mar 11, 2024
I know this might sound tricky, but I'll try to explain it in the best possible way.

So, I received my study permit last year (2023) for two academic years starting from Winter 2024 term.

I was all ready and excited to begin my academic dreams in Canada. Still, due to a family emergency, I could not travel (I really needed to be with my family at those times).

Then, I tried to explain my situation to the college, but they didn't agree to it as a valid reason and withdrew my application (they didn't even allow me to defer).

What I needed to know or the questions I do have is:

1. My study permit is valid till 2026. If I reapply for the same university (probably in 2025 Winter), will I be able to pass the border officers without any issue? Do I need to get any additional docs? I am thinking of explaining my situation to the high commission. Is it advisable?

2. What if the same program isn't available? Would it be possible to apply to another similar program (e.g., business management to marketing)?

Your support and guidance on this matter would be truly appreciated. If you have faced a similar situation or know a thing or two, please share your experience.