+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit (or) Dependent visa (or) Both ?

Dennia

Jul 23, 2013
St.John's
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
20-Nov-2008
VISA ISSUED...
03-Dec-2008
LANDED..........
15-Dec-2008
I recently got married. I completed my 2 graduations here and I m workin in Canada on a work permit tht will expire in 2017 (applied for PNP). My wife would genuinely like to come to canada sooner to study. I suggested her to apply for a study permit instead of a dependent visa,since a dependent visa doesnt allow her to study. But some of the consultants back home r scaring my wife,tht her visa will be refused because she is married and CIC would assume the actual reason to come to Canada in not study and only to stay with me.How can we prove this,in papers?

This is the second issue.Even though she is a BE graduate, she would like to have a fresh start in Canada with a college course (the argument made by consultants here is CIC wil reject ur visa since you wnt to downgrade urself). From my personal experience Canadian employers, look at two things Canadian education & basic knowledge and experience in a field (well paid jobs), a Canadian college course offers you both with internship and Co-op's. For entry level jobs,especially fr an international graduate I personally think Masters and PhDs are a huge setback, because most of your Canadian born employers are only diploma holders and obviously some wont prefer Masters candidate whose pay expectation will be more thn other candidates

Can we apply for a study permit and a dependent visa to avoid these issues? (or) should we just apply fr study permit and mention all these details in her study permit? We dont wnt to lie,but at the same time get it done. Any assistance provided will be really appreciated.

familyql9

Jun 5, 2015
I want to get on-line to fill out the study permit application form, but the page always says that my Adobe reader is not the newest version and need me to upgrade it, but I did, and it's not working. What should I do to avoid this situation and let the application form show on the screen?

Dennia

Jul 23, 2013
St.John's
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
20-Nov-2008
VISA ISSUED...
03-Dec-2008
LANDED..........
15-Dec-2008
just save the file on ur computer and then open it. This normally works

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dennia said:
Can we apply for a study permit and a dependent visa to avoid these issues? (or) should we just apply fr study permit and mention all these details in her study permit? We dont wnt to lie,but at the same time get it done. Any assistance provided will be really appreciated.
Regardless what kind of visa she applies for, she will have to show ties to her home country - and can be refused if CIC feels she doesn't have enough ties. So refusal is a risk no matter what you do. If she wants to study, her only choice is a study permit.

She can certainly take a diploma - however the diploma she takes will have to make sense in light of her previous education and experience - otherwise CIC will probably think she is not a genuine student and is just using the visa to get to Canada.

Whether a diploma is better than a degree really depends on the industry - you can't generalize. I've worked in banking for 20 years and in this industry a degree will get you much farther than a diploma. It has been extremely rare to encounter people just with diplomas in the head office departments I have worked in. Everyone has had a Bachelor degree at a minimum and Master's are quite common (I think the department of 45 I work in now is half Master's degrees - with one PhD - and the rest are Bachelor's). I have hired two International Students for full time jobs over the last few years. Both were Master's students. So like I said, it really depends on the industry.

Dennia

Jul 23, 2013
St.John's
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
21-08-2015
Passport Req..
20-Nov-2008
VISA ISSUED...
03-Dec-2008
LANDED..........
15-Dec-2008
Thank you for the response. We have decided to apply for a study permit for her submitting all the required supporting documents. I don't understand few things,

CIC is encouraging a work permit for spouses of PGWP holders,but they don't have an actual stream to get a study permit for spouses. I think my case is no different instead of a work permit,we want a study permit.

Second thing,how can a person show ties to their home country other than referring to our family and job perspectives back home. Isn't the actual motive of immigration is to bring qualified people from all over the world to stay in your country. I think this is a stupid requirement,especially due to the reason that you really can't predict your future,depending on how things turn out a person might decide to stay with a proper status or will go back home for a better life.

The next thing they(consultants) came up with was that, u want to study in NL because ur husband resides there,this sounds more like u wnt to stay with ur husband,so if you choose someother province u will not have this issue. Cmo'n lets be realistic on this if u have the course u wnt to do in the province where ur husband resides,that is more beneifical. U can save on lots of things and concentrate on studies more, unlike other international student who have to worry about rent and other basic expenses.

Finally, as far as her course selection is concerned, she choose a diploma in computer systems networking. She has pretty much 4yrs of experience in the field of computers and her BE was done in civil(she did her career switch in 2010, and also completed a training course in computers before starting her job). She doesnt have a professional education credential to prove herself in the networking industry, So we focused more on those points (her work experience and the training program.