+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit not needed any more

Myelizabeth

May 22, 2014
I have the following situation. I am an exchange student from the Netherlands but have Russian passport. From September 2014 till April 2015 I am supposed to come to Canada as an exchange student. I already applied pot the study permit together with temporarily resident visa, but still do not receive it. Because of the personal circumstances I cannot go in September, but will go in January 2015. Therefore, I do not need a study permit any more since I will come only for 4 months. I assume that my temporarily residence visa will expire in January. Which other visa and documents do I need to come to canada in January instead of September? Should I cancel my study permit, since it is only under consideration now...

Kind regards,
Luza

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
From September 2014 till April 2015 I am supposed to come to Canada as an exchange student.
Do you have a personal choise for how long you may come? For 8 months or for 4 months?

I already applied for the study permit together with temporarily resident visa, but still do not receive it. Because of the personal circumstances I cannot go in September, but will go in January 2015. Therefore, I do not need a study permit any more since I will come only for 4 months.
That's true, BUT you have to get some sort of Letter of acceptance (not sure how it works for exchange students) from your university in Canada that your wnrollment is postponed till January. Ann when you get to Canada in January , at POE you should have it with you.

You see, what you will get from VO is a "visa for entry" and Introduction Letter. Neither of them will tell you how long you may stay and study in Canada. The decision about that will be made by a border officer at POE, so you will need to explain to him why if your "visa for entry" and Introduction Letter from VO are valid since September but you are coming in January. And the latest "letter of acceptance" from your school will support your explanation.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Myelizabeth said:
I have the following situation. I am an exchange student from the Netherlands but have Russian passport. From September 2014 till April 2015 I am supposed to come to Canada as an exchange student. I already applied pot the study permit together with temporarily resident visa, but still do not receive it. Because of the personal circumstances I cannot go in September, but will go in January 2015. Therefore, I do not need a study permit any more since I will come only for 4 months. I assume that my temporarily residence visa will expire in January. Which other visa and documents do I need to come to canada in January instead of September? Should I cancel my study permit, since it is only under consideration now...

Kind regards,
Luza

You get SP only at POE. Typically, TRV is issued for 6 months, if not, apply again in January.

Myelizabeth

May 22, 2014
So your advice will be to wait for my temporarily visa anyway, not cancel it right now?

Because I applied for temporarily visa+study permit last week and the documents are still processing.. So I was doubting should I cancel the application now and apply for temporarily resident visa in January, or wait for my application to be approved and just use it in January instead of September..

And do you think if they will give the TRV in June it still will be valid in January?

Kind regards,

Liza

Regina

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2006
Beautiful British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You asked SP (and TRV) for a period from September 2014 to April 2015. So your visa to entry will be valid from September to the end of April. So you could go to Canada any time (reasonable :))during that period.
To make it "reasonable" in January you need a new letter of acceptance from the university in Canada that they are ready to accept you in January instead of September. You cannot just show up there 4 months later without their consent.

In January a border officer at POE will expect you to bring to POE a "visa for entrance" (September to April) and a letter of acceptance where university states that your course starts in January. Then you may be asked of the reasons why you postponed the arrival but as long as you have a valid visa and letter from the university (for January) you will be OK and will get your SP for 4 months (6 months? Depends on generosity of the border officer :)) .