+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit having two contradictory clauses for off campus employment

JeewanGamage

Jan 24, 2019
I received my study permit with two contradictory clauses for off-campus work..In the Remarks/ observations section, it states,

May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria. This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off-campus employment MXY704.

I'm really confused with this, Can someone kindly explain to me whether am I eligible to work off-campus? I found another friend having the same issue.

JeewanGamage

Jan 24, 2019
You cannot work off campus. Read here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/work-off-campus.html

You might want to contact IRCC and check why is it so. What program are you attending and which university/college? This information may help the forum members identity why you have this condition added to your study permit.

Thank you for your response. I'm doing my PhD in University of Guelph. In my offer letter, I don't find any issue for not having the opportunity to work off-campus. I have heard from my friends who do have this two clauses but working outside. In the URL you have mentioned in the SIN section it clearly says

"To apply for a SIN to work off-campus, you must have 1 of these conditions printed on your study permit:
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria, per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w) and must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

Last edited:

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Thank you for your response. I'm doing my PhD in University of Guelph. In my offer letter, I don't find any issue for not having the opportunity to work off-campus. I have heard from my friends who do have this two clauses but working outside. In the URL you have mentioned in the SIN section it clearly says

"To apply for a SIN to work off-campus, you must have 1 of these conditions printed on your study permit:
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria, per paragraph R186(f), (v) or (w) and must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
This is from a CIC document.

As of February 2, 2015, officers must copy and paste the following new condition into the Remarks section for applicants who are eligible to work on- or off-campus:

• May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.
Officers must copy and paste the following condition into the Remarks section if the applicant is not eligible to work off-campus without a work permit:

• This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada.
OMC is submitting a GCMS change request to make these conditions permanent.

So although the first and the second parageapp look contradictory what it is telling you is that you can only work on campus and not off campus. It looks like it's some quirky rule that they must put that wording in only from 2015. Hence you are getting that rule.

The quickest way to do this is to apply for an ammendment to your study permit which gives you the ability to work off campus. Also you might want to contact the IRCC and ask them why did they not give you permission in the first place.

Did you do any course before this or did you extend your study permit ?

JeewanGamage

Jan 24, 2019
It also clearly says who may not work off campus and has the exact wordings:
This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off-campusemployment
I guess you should go to Service Canada and see if they issue you a SIN and then call IRCC to confirm before you start working.
Just because someone else is doing it, doesn't make it right.
Thanks again. They gave me the SIN number. That’s why I’m confusing, they didn’t say that I cannot work off-campus

danipulga04

Oct 21, 2021
I received my study permit with two contradictory clauses for off-campus work..In the Remarks/ observations section, it states,

May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(F), (V) or (W). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria. This permit does not authorize the holder to engage in off-campus employment MXY704.

I'm really confused with this, Can someone kindly explain to me whether am I eligible to work off-campus? I found another friend having the same issue.

How did you solve the situation?? I am facing the same problem and I already worked on campus. Thanks.