+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit for a grade school?

mumay fort

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

I am a permanent resident of Canada; I have dependent, which was declared as non-accompanying. I am now planning to bring him here as a student (grade school) as per the advice of an immigration consultant. Once here, sponsorship will follow, also the suggestion of the consultant. I would like to know if anyone here has the same situation as mine. Was it successful? I am getting mixed opinions; I would like to hear from the ones who have personally experienced this scenario. Hoping to hear from someone else soon. Thank you in advance.

God bless

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am a permanent resident of Canada; I have dependent, which was declared as non-accompanying. I am now planning to bring him here as a student (grade school) as per the advice of an immigration consultant. Once here, sponsorship will follow, also the suggestion of the consultant. I would like to know if anyone here has the same situation as mine. Was it successful? I am getting mixed opinions; I would like to hear from the ones who have personally experienced this scenario. Hoping to hear from someone else soon. Thank you in advance.

God bless
You will have to sponsor your child for PR. If you child gets a TRV or TRP your child may or may not qualify for schooling without international fees or healthcare. It depends on the province. Your child may not be approved for a TRV or TRP so your only choice will be to sponsor your child for PR while you are in Canada. It usually takes 5-10 months.

mumay fort

Nov 27, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will have to sponsor your child for PR. If your child gets a TRV or TRP your child may or may not qualify for schooling without international fees or healthcare. It depends on the province. Your child may not be approved for a TRV or TRP, so your only choice will be to sponsor your child for PR while you are in Canada. It usually takes 5-10 months.
Thank you so much for the quick response Sir,
I will, for sure, follow your advice. I am from AB btw, hopefully processing time doesn't change.

Have a great night!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you so much for the quick response Sir,
I will, for sure, follow your advice. I am from AB btw, hopefully processing time doesn't change.

Have a great night!
You will also need permission from the other parent or proof that you have full custody. In Alberta your child would qualify for healthcare on a TRV or TRP if that is what you want to try first. You’d have to check with the school district about fees. Especially if you are a single parent and your child is young make sure to budget for care before or after school, if needed, and during holidays especially during the summer. All can be quite expensive and not something all parents consider.

This is Canada so you can’t assume you are talking to a man.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam112