+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit Extension from USA - Leaving to India

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
Hi Team,
I have applied for my study permit extension on August 06, 2021 and its been 2.5 months now. My initial application for study permit expired on September 30, 2021. I am currently residing in USA, but my father has some serious health and need to travel to India immediately.

My question is, Can I travel to India and get the approval from India itself (while application is pending) OR should I come back to US for approval, as I am planning to stay in India for at least 1 year minimum.??

Please help me out

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Team,
I have applied for my study permit extension on August 06, 2021 and its been 2.5 months now. My initial application for study permit expired on September 30, 2021. I am currently residing in USA, but my father has some serious health and need to travel to India immediately.

My question is, Can I travel to India and get the approval from India itself (while application is pending) OR should I come back to US for approval, as I am planning to stay in India for at least 1 year minimum.??

Please help me out
You applied for a new study permit because you can’t extend a study permit outside of Canada. You can go to India and wait for approval there.

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
You applied for a new study permit because you can’t extend a study permit outside of Canada. You can go to India and wait for approval there.
Thanks...So, if we wait from India and after approval, should I send the passport to India VFS or US VFS, as I have applied from US for stamping?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks...So, if we wait from India and after approval, should I send the passport to India VFS or US VFS, as I have applied from US for stamping?
You should be able to as long as you applied for a new study permit, and not an extension (which you said you did). Has your TRV expired too?

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
You should be able to as long as you applied for a new study permit, and not an extension (which you said you did). Has your TRV expired too?
Yes. my old study permit expired and applied for new...I am not sure, whether its study permit or extension, as I answered the questions and document list popped up..

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
I have been waiting for 4 months and still no update. Online processing time, shows as 13 weeks but still no update. Now, I will be leaving to India on Friday and can I send the passport to Indian consulate while COR is USA or should I send passport to USA from India for stamping? Please help me out...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have been waiting for 4 months and still no update. Online processing time, shows as 13 weeks but still no update. Now, I will be leaving to India on Friday and can I send the passport to Indian consulate while COR is USA or should I send passport to USA from India for stamping? Please help me out...
You will need to update your address when you go to the US. If/when you are asked to submit your passport for stamping you can ask for it to be done in the US. If you update your address that may trigger the stamping request in the US but if the H&C has been transferred for processing in India the system will likely request stamping in India. Not an unusual request to ask for stamping to be done in another country.

Sunita_Khary

Aug 17, 2018
You will need to update your address when you go to the US. If/when you are asked to submit your passport for stamping you can ask for it to be done in the US. If you update your address that may trigger the stamping request in the US but if the H&C has been transferred for processing in India the system will likely request stamping in India. Not an unusual request to ask for stamping to be done in another country.
Thanks for response. But, I am not able to understand your reply. can you please explain, as I am travelling from USA to India.