+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit expires before getting letter of graduation

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
I am in the same situation. The best option is to request the university to issue the graduation letter earlier and apply for PGWP before study permit expiry, but not all universities are able to do that due to technical reasons.

I consulted some students who were in the same boat last year, they told me that they ended up applying for a visitor record to extend their stay, as they don't have any more credits to take after the study permit expiry, and then applied for PGWP.

I have also decided to extend my stay as a visitor, just because I saw people around me succeeded in doing so. IMO, I prefer this option because it requires fewer documents to prepare and is cheaper, but the thing really bothers me is that I don't know if I also need to renew my CAQ.

Does anyone know if I need to renew my CAQ while extending my stay as a visitor?

Students who graduated last year do not have this problem since all CAQs in 2020 are automatically extended to the end of the year, but this does not apply to 2021. Perhaps things are going to change soon but at this point nobody knows.

captainarabiia

VIP Member
Mar 17, 2015
Winnipeg
Visa Office......
Riyadh Visa Office
App. Filed.......
22-02-2018
Passport Req..
11-03-2018
I am in the same situation. The best option is to request the university to issue the graduation letter earlier and apply for PGWP before study permit expiry, but not all universities are able to do that due to technical reasons.

I consulted some students who were in the same boat last year, they told me that they ended up applying for a visitor record to extend their stay, as they don't have any more credits to take after the study permit expiry, and then applied for PGWP.

I have also decided to extend my stay as a visitor, just because I saw people around me succeeded in doing so. IMO, I prefer this option because it requires fewer documents to prepare and is cheaper, but the thing really bothers me is that I don't know if I also need to renew my CAQ.

Does anyone know if I need to renew my CAQ while extending my stay as a visitor?

Students who graduated last year do not have this problem since all CAQs in 2020 are automatically extended to the end of the year, but this does not apply to 2021. Perhaps things are going to change soon but at this point nobody knows.

Another solution is applying for a SP extension and mentioning the reason as "Additional Time for PGWP"

@bongoman did it.

neo-mashiro

Jul 28, 2019
Another solution is applying for a SP extension and mentioning the reason as "Additional Time for PGWP"

@bongoman did it.
Thanks. Yes I also think SP extension is a better approach, but the downside is that it requires CAQ and more financial support evidence...

Actually I'm going to wait for a while and decide later. If MIFI would announce the auto extension of CAQ to the end of the year, just like they did last year, I will apply for an SP extension. If there's no announcement by the end of April, I might have to extend as a visitor.

setia5433

Dec 16, 2021
Hi Guys
My study permit expired on 30/11, but my study completed on 16/12, can I apply for PGWP since I had applied for extension in study permit in time on 15/09 but still decision awaiting. Thanks

hb1319

Star Member
Dec 16, 2021
Hi Guys
My study permit expired on 30/11, but my study completed on 16/12, can I apply for PGWP since I had applied for extension in study permit in time on 15/09 but still decision awaiting. Thanks
I am in the same situation with you, I applied 03, 2021 but still don't hear anything

Kumarratika

Jan 25, 2022
Which page and question number is that?
Page 1, question 7
Current territory of residence where it asks for status and if I put student status and my study permit had already expired, it gives red flag in my expiration date, it says that you need to put the valid date not expired date