+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa vs Dependent Visa

SomyaRawal

Jul 30, 2014
Hello Everyone,
I am writing from India. I am masters of computer application from NIT and currently, working with IBM, India. My fiance is in canada and after our marriage, i am also looking to move to Canada. My concern is that whether should i wait for my dependent visa to get approve( which i can only apply after our marriage) or can look for some good one year course and go on student visa (as it may help me to get some good job also as currently, i have only one year experience). Please suggest which can be the easier one to follow up with.

Mantastic

Aug 7, 2014
Hi Somya,

If you are looking forward to work in a student visa, As per the latest update, You will get a Part Time Work Permit which only allows you to work a maximum of 20 hrs a week. For landing up in a good job, you would require a full time work permit. Usually employers in a reputable mid level organizations doesn't entertain applicants with part time work permit because an employee has to complete certain hours at the office on a weekly basis (varies between organizations)
That being said, if you reach their as a student, you can get acclimatized to many other aspects of life and employment before you actually land up in a job. In my view, Canadian employers prefer a candidate who has received even a partial Canadian education. Education in an SPP college can cost you around CAD 14000 for a year course as an international student. Also try to get into a college at the province where you would like to eventually settle.

Mantastic