+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Student Visa Application Rejected - Insufficient Funds?

taztank27

Dec 2, 2013
Hi,

I just received a rejection for a student visa for 1 year's worth of studies based on insufficient funds -- and nothing else. However, during the application, I provided the following:

* My Canadian bank account showing $10,000 CAD
* Completely paid tuition fees (1 year -- the program is only 1 year).
* My sponsoring aunt's bank account and income information, and a letter explaining that she is funding my studies and providing for transportation.

There was also some money in my local bank account (I am based in Manila).

There were two tick marks on the form: "Have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to maintain yourself..." and "Have sufficient and available financial resources, without working in Canada, to pay the costs of transporting yourself...". The one for transportation, I can understand if the visa officer missed the point in my aunt's letter that she will be buying my tickets. I cannot understand why they would think I don't have enough to maintain myself when I've fulfilled the minimum requirement stated.

Any advice or tips? I want to reapply immediately because it seems like I am really close.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
how many months of canadian bank statement did u provide? also i dont understand how did u get a canadian bank account

taztank27

Dec 2, 2013
My aunt provided 100% funding to me. We provided letters from her, including her bank account and salary.

I contacted a bank in Canada and was able to create an account with them. I have to activate it in-person within 12 months to access the funds.

These funds have been there since June 2015.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
taztank27 said:
My aunt provided 100% funding to me. We provided letters from her, including her bank account and salary.

I contacted a bank in Canada and was able to create an account with them. I have to activate it in-person within 12 months to access the funds.

These funds have been there since June 2015.
aunt is not a strong sponsor however u had $10000 for more than 4 months right so u did add 4 months worth of bank statements with ur application?

taztank27

Dec 2, 2013
I am not sure why you say "aunt is not a strong sponsor". In fact, I am not even sure what the criteria is for sponsoring someone under student visa, if such a thing exists; I provided her documentation to show a clear link to where the money was coming from and that she was providing the funds to me for my education, and also that she could afford it. I believe this is one of the requirements stated at the CIC website.

Yes, there were 4 months worth of bank statements from both Canada and my local account in the Philippines, income statements from both me and my aunt, etc. Basically, everything that was asked for.

The rejection letter was not clear in why the information I provided was disregarded.