Student Permit/Spouse - Advise Greatly Appreciated

Life101

Apr 24, 2024
Lagos, Nigeria
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
I've secured a student visa to a reputable university in BC to continue my education. It's a PBD leading up an MBA and is a follow-up to my Bachelor's in Finance gotten almost a decade ago.

I've been in a steady/continuous relationship for almost 3 years now! I got my visa in January. When I begin classes in the Fall 2024, is there a way to send for my common law partner after I arrive ?

Basically, does my student permit extend any benefits to her AFTER i've already gotten my visa ? (We couldn't file together due to extenuating circumstances). What can be done to have come accompany me during my program ? Or is marriage the only route ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I've secured a student visa to a reputable university in BC to continue my education. It's a PBD leading up an MBA and is a follow-up to my Bachelor's in Finance gotten almost a decade ago.

I've been in a steady/continuous relationship for almost 3 years now! I got my visa in January. When I begin classes in the Fall 2024, is there a way to send for my common law partner after I arrive ?

Basically, does my student permit extend any benefits to her AFTER i've already gotten my visa ? (We couldn't file together due to extenuating circumstances). What can be done to have come accompany me during my program ? Or is marriage the only route ?
But you applied as common law? Even if applying as married/common law spouse doesn’t need to be accompanying but you need to declare it.

Life101

Apr 24, 2024
Lagos, Nigeria
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
But you applied as common law? Even if applying as married/common law spouse doesn’t need to be accompanying but you need to declare it.
No I did not.

I made no mentions of any accompanying dependents, and I didn't state that I was in a common law because in my country, you're either married or not. We didn't know about the "common law route" until AFTER i had gotten my visa. We had discussed marriage and planned to do so June 2024 so I couldn't possibly declare it.

Is there any reprieve ? Can I send a webform with a sworn statement to IRCC stating that I was in fact in a common law but didn't state so as I didn't even know it was recognized ?

We have a ton of LEGITIMATE evidence to show our continued genuine relationship. Like a ton!! (Photos, bank statements, sworn affidavits from family members, text messages from when we met til now, her drivers license has my address and will soon expire etc..)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No I did not.

I made no mentions of any accompanying dependents, and I didn't state that I was in a common law because in my country, you're either married or not. We didn't know about the "common law route" until AFTER i had gotten my visa. We had discussed marriage and planned to do so June 2024 so I couldn't possibly declare it.

Is there any reprieve ? Can I send a webform with a sworn statement to IRCC stating that I was in fact in a common law but didn't state so as I didn't even know it was recognized ?

We have a ton of LEGITIMATE evidence to show our continued genuine relationship. Like a ton!! (Photos, bank statements, sworn affidavits from family members, text messages from when we met til now, her drivers license has my address and will soon expire etc)
You can try but the issue now is that you must be in a Master or PhD program for spouse to be eligible for SOWP. Make sure you also meet new POF for 2 people. Common law is lease/property, share bank accounts, utilities, insurance policies continuously for one year etc. Text/photos don’t show common law.

Life101

Apr 24, 2024
Lagos, Nigeria
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Nairobi
You can try but the issue now is that you must be in a Master or PhD program for spouse to be eligible for SOWP. Make sure you also meet new POF for 2 people. Common law is lease/property, share bank accounts, utilities, insurance policies continuously for one year etc. Text/photos don’t show common law.
I see, okay. I'll take all you've said into consideration and adjust our evidence/POF accordingly. It is appreciated...