+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Staying overseas on pr

jlln0316

Oct 17, 2019
Hi
I'm really confused with the resident obligation for PR , I only have 6 months to stay overseas after getting my PR? On every written document it said that I can leave canada for more than 6 months as long as i stay in canada for 2 years (not consecutively) during a 5 years period issued on my PR card.
TIA for any answeres

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
From your initial landing you must spend a minimum of 2 years in the first 5 years in Canada. This means you could in theory leave Canada for near 3 years from your initial landing as long as when you return you stay put for 2 years to meet the 2 out of 5 RO.

PR card validity is not relevant to the residency obligation, it is the initial landing date that is important and meeting the 2 out of 5.

After the initial 5 years from landing then the 5 year window becomes a rolling window in that every time you enter Canada you need to be prepared to show that you have 2 years residence in the 5 years preceding each new entry.

So there is no such rule that you can only be out of Canada for upto 6 months at a time, you just need to meet the 2 years out of 5 rule.