+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting to Work

suppapappa

Mar 18, 2009
I have got my PR visa. How soon can I start working in Canada after my initial entry? Do I need to wait for the PR card to arrive? or can I start working after the next day of landing.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

suppapappa said:
I have got my PR visa. How soon can I start working in Canada after my initial entry? Do I need to wait for the PR card to arrive? or can I start working after the next day of landing.
You need a SIN card, go to a Services Canada office and apply you will be given the number, then you find a job.

PMM

suppapappa

Mar 18, 2009
Hi PMM,

What if I have a job waiting there? The only thing is that I won't have a printed and signed job offer unless I reach there.
Do I still need a SIN to start working?

Suppa

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need a SIN because your employer uses it when they calculate and deduct your taxes and hand them over to the CRA. It is not enough to send the taxes in envelope to CRA marked "suppapappa". Don't worry, it will not be a big deal to get a SIN.

suppapappa

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for your response.

I will do the following. Let me know if there are any issues in doing so.

1. land in Canada
2. Apply for SIN
3. Start working for the employer while the SIN is being processed.
4. Submit the SIN to the employer after it arrives.

Basically, I do not want to elapse any days in between the SIN application & arrival of SIN.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see any problem with that plan. You should have your SIN card in 2 weeks or so. I can not remember if I was given a number before the actual card but if you are, you could give it to them right away. If not, they will have to postpone paying you until they have the number.