+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Starting a business

Ck8414

Jun 19, 2022
Hi All, i am currently residing in US on H1b work visa. My background is in IT (mobile software development) , however i m planning to start a real estate based business in Canada. i have a family consists of my wife and a daughter. My goal is to quit my job and go full time in my business and immigrate to Canada. i am planning to move near Toronto area. The business i am planning to start would cater to another business here in US. My question is whats the best way to setup my business to be able to get a work visa that can help me to move to canada. Also any logistics in terms of setting up business and gotcha i should be aware of. Any useful links or resources would be helpful. Please note i wont be taking any help from VC fund . its a business that will provide professional and consulting services to business in USA. i can pay myself through the business. Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All, i am currently residing in US on H1b work visa. My background is in IT (mobile software development) , however i m planning to start a real estate based business in Canada. i have a family consists of my wife and a daughter. My goal is to quit my job and go full time in my business and immigrate to Canada. i am planning to move near Toronto area. The business i am planning to start would cater to another business here in US. My question is whats the best way to setup my business to be able to get a work visa that can help me to move to canada. Also any logistics in terms of setting up business and gotcha i should be aware of. Any useful links or resources would be helpful. Please note i wont be taking any help from VC fund . its a business that will provide professional and consulting services to business in USA. i can pay myself through the business. Thanks.
Look at OINP Entrepreneur program. You need to have a net worth of a set amount of dollars, business plan etc. It is a long process so you may want to hire a lawyer specialization in business immigration. You have to show that your company will be an economic boost to the economy by hiring Canadians and PRs.

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
IMO this doesn't sound like a business that will allow you to get a work permit in Canada. You're not deliverying any services in Canada so there is no need for you to have operations in Canada. Basically you would just be paying yourself out of Canada. Since the business will provide consulting services to the USA (and not Canada), I would recommend you instead look into how to establish this business in the USA.

If your primary goal is to immigrate to Canada, I don't think this business will help you at all. Look into programs like Express Entry without attempting to start up this business.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Roger Gamer

Oct 4, 2022
Interesting ... but there isn't much information to advise
Set up a company in the GTA, doesn't really cost a lot
Once incorporated, go to the employer portal and self apply your LMIA exemption under Significant benefit clause, get your work permit
Move family to Canada and do your thing

Of course before doing all that, go online and check your CRS score and see if its a viable option
Then there is also option to add 50 or 200 points to your CRS score depending on the size of your Canadian business
Have a decent CRS score? Sign up to express entry, and wait for your invitation to apply for PR