+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Start-up Visa Program: Reality or Scam?

j_i_m

Apr 22, 2013
Hi folks, I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada.

My brother is not Canadian, and is hoping to move here. He is in touch with an immigration consultant who seems to be promising him the following:
- Putting him in touch with 2-3 other people desiring to move to Canada
- Getting each of them to pay USD $100K (>USD $300K total), and collectively establish a start-up company
- Contracting a consulting firm in Canada who will propose to develop an IT solution for the start-up company
- Based on the proposed solution developed by this company, bring a pitch to one of the incubators and getting a letter of support
- Subsequent to the above, getting a PR for my brother and his co-partners.

Note: My brother is not an entrepreneur, he has no history of starting companies from scratch and scaling them to viability or to aquisition stage, and he's not particularly a tech-savvy person.

I looked online on Canada.ca and read a bit about the Canada Start-up Visa program, and I am extremely skeptical -- am I missing something? Is it really that easy to move to Canada and get a PR? You sign some papers, dish out USD $100K to a stranger, and get a PR card?

What am I missing? Is my brother being scammed?

Last edited:

hogan77

Mar 30, 2022
BC
Category........
WP
Visa Office......
RICC
App. Filed.......
2022-01-29
LANDED..........
2022-01-18
immigrant consultants tell you a lot of the easy things and don't tell you many hard things. Processing time doubled.I believe them, so be lied

tabs999

Nov 4, 2020

My brother is not Canadian, and is hoping to move here. He is in touch with an immigration consultant who seems to be promising him the following:
- Getting each of them to pay USD $100K (>USD $300K total), and collectively establish a start-up company
- Contracting a consulting firm in Canada who will propose to develop an IT solution for the start-up company
- Based on the proposed solution developed by this company, bring a pitch to one of the incubators and getting a letter of support

Note: My brother is not an entrepreneur, he has no history of starting companies from scratch and scaling them to viability or to aquisition stage, and he's not particularly a tech-savvy person.

I looked online on Canada.ca and read a bit about the Canada Start-up Visa program, and I am extremely skeptical -- am I missing something? Is it really that easy to move to Canada and get a PR? You sign some papers, dish out USD $100K to a stranger, and get a PR card?

It is possible,but do take complete plan from the consultant ,will he get the LOS also for your brother

hmblaster

Star Member
Nov 24, 2020

That's a scam. If your brother is not an entrepreneur then why would he opt in for Startup visa. There are just so many scammers claiming to be consultants and promise PR. I would say beware of them. If your brother has $100K, i would say just apply for a student visa, complete a degree and get PR. The pathways is not only easy but will lead to a guaranteed PR with job assurance.

DM me if you need some advise but do not fall for the scams.

franalmeida900

Star Member
Mar 16, 2023
So I’ve heard a lot about people being taken advantage of by sketchy organizations through the SUV program. It is quite real and people do successfully move through it but it also really depends which organization you involve yourself with to help. Definitely do your research on that front and try to speak with a few!