+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse work visa questions

CJEQ

May 30, 2021
I have applied for an extension of my closed work permit in Canada and my wife's open work permit outside Canada(My hometown). My current closed work permit will expire in September this year and my new contract is renewed until the end of August next year. We submitted them at the same time under an application and my wife's work permit was issued very quickly, but the date on the passport only gives the expiry date of my current work permit (the end of September this year), while my work permit extension has not yet been issued. I have a few questions to ask.

1. does this mean that they only consider my current work visa expiry date when processing, and do not give me an update on when we will be down at the same time after I have completed my renewal?

2. Since my wife has not yet entered Canada, can she wait for my work permit to be approved and then enter Canada and exchange it directly at customs for an open work permit of the same duration as my new work permit?

3. Is there a difference between waiting for my work permit to be approved before she enters Canada and not waiting for my work permit to be approved before she enters Canada, and is there a difference in the cut-off time for the OWP she gets from Customs when she enters Canada?

Thank you all.