+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse Sponsorship - Working From Home

dwthomson

Dec 9, 2009
Hello,

My wife and I wish to immigrate to Canada and have some issues we are unclear about. My wife is Canadian and I am from Scotland. We are currently living in Scotland and have been married for over 2 years.

1. I am going to keep working for my current UK employers from home in Canada. Does this mean i require a seperate visa or do i still apply under the spouse visa. Also, in the user guide it says that my wife must be able to support me financially, however I will still be earning a UK wage and do not require her to support me.

2. My wife is pregnant and the baby will not be here when we apply. Do we have to wait, and does the baby have to be on the visa application. I am guessing we can just claim Canadian Citizenship for the baby.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dwthomson said:
Hello,

My wife and I wish to immigrate to Canada and have some issues we are unclear about. My wife is Canadian and I am from Scotland. We are currently living in Scotland and have been married for over 2 years.

1. I am going to keep working for my current UK employers from home in Canada. Does this mean i require a seperate visa or do i still apply under the spouse visa. Also, in the user guide it says that my wife must be able to support me financially, however I will still be earning a UK wage and do not require her to support me.

2. My wife is pregnant and the baby will not be here when we apply. Do we have to wait, and does the baby have to be on the visa application. I am guessing we can just claim Canadian Citizenship for the baby.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. You don't require a separate visa, your spouse sponsors you. In spousal applications the sponsor signs an agreement that they will be responsible for you for 3 years. Meaning if you claim social assistance, she will be responsible for paying it back to the government.
2. The child will be a canadian citizen and is NOT included in the application. Your spouse will have to obtain proof of citizenship and then during that process 12+ months can apply for a limited validity passport for the child. see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp and http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp So you don't have to wait.

PMM

arewethereyet

Sep 2, 2009
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2009
Passport Req..
22-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-12-2009
@ dwthompson

Something that did spring to mind when reading point #1 of your post, and I accept that it is nothing to do directly with immigration issues, but I thought it might be helpful to flag it up.

If you have not done already, you may need to give some thought to tax implications further down the line. While I am no expert, there may be some danger of double-taxation, although I think there may be legitimate ways to help aleviate this. Here is some food for thought, from the UK side of things. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/faqs_general.htm#2nr Hope this helps.

dwthomson

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks very much for the advice.

With regards to my first query:

"You don't require a separate visa, your spouse sponsors you. In spousal applications the sponsor signs an agreement that they will be responsible for you for 3 years. Meaning if you claim social assistance, she will be responsible for paying it back to the government. "

How does this work if we live in the UK and are moving back to Canada, my wife will not have a job when we arrive so i'm not sure that she will be able to agree to this. Also, is there something i can sign to prove i already have a job and will be able to support my family.

Thanks for also for the taxation advice, this is something i have considered and am looking into with my employer.

zh56

Dec 10, 2009
I know someone who got married when he was living in UK on a valid UK work permit. His two kids were also born there. He applied for their citizenships the next day they were born and received the passports, and then the citizenship cards later on from the Canadian Imm office in London. He also applied for his wife's PR from UK - took about 6 months. Now they are all happily living in Canada.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dwthomson said:
Thanks very much for the advice.

With regards to my first query:

"You don't require a separate visa, your spouse sponsors you. In spousal applications the sponsor signs an agreement that they will be responsible for you for 3 years. Meaning if you claim social assistance, she will be responsible for paying it back to the government. "

How does this work if we live in the UK and are moving back to Canada, my wife will not have a job when we arrive so i'm not sure that she will be able to agree to this. Also, is there something i can sign to prove i already have a job and will be able to support my family.

Thanks for also for the taxation advice, this is something i have considered and am looking into with my employer.
There is nothing you can sign to prove that you support your family. You are the sponsor's responsibility. Look she doesn't have a choice, she either signs the sponsorship if you wish to come to Canada or she doesn't and you are not issued a PR visa. Go back read the instructions again.

PMM