+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse PR- Family class

Jan 6, 2024
Hello Everyone!!

I am in the process of applying for a spouse PR. We got register married in India. The following are the questions that I have
  1. In the Part C, question 9 of IMM 5532 - Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation form, It asks us to input the count of the guests who came to the ceremonial functions (Example: Engagement, Marriage, Reception etc). In my case, marriage was held in a register office and the only guests who came were my parents and spouse's parents i.e., in total 4 members. I am planning to say that we had a family get together (count ~70) after the register marriage and enter 70 in "Number of guests column". . Let me know your comments.
  2. We are planning to show joint account statement of 1 and a half of month as one of the proofs of the relationship. Let me know if this is sufficient.
Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone!!

I am in the process of applying for a spouse PR. We got register married in India. The following are the questions that I have
  1. In the Part C, question 9 of IMM 5532 - Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation form, It asks us to input the count of the guests who came to the ceremonial functions (Example: Engagement, Marriage, Reception etc). In my case, marriage was held in a register office and the only guests who came were my parents and spouse's parents i.e., in total 4 members. I am planning to say that we had a family get together (count ~70) after the register marriage and enter 70 in "Number of guests column". . Let me know your comments.
  2. We are planning to show joint account statement of 1 and a half of month as one of the proofs of the relationship. Let me know if this is sufficient.
Thanks.
Was this an arranged marriage? Had you been dating, especially in person, and could you show a long relationship history. Is there a reason you did not have a traditional ceremony? For example being from different religions. Why did you have a party after the wedding but not include the wedding as part of the party? Especially if this was an arranged marriage there is typically a more traditional wedding ceremony so would suggest explaining why you could not have a traditional ceremony. Some have a court marriage to start the sponsorship process and then have the “real” wedding later on. Many try to conceal from friends and family that they got legally married so do not mention it on social media for example. At least you had a reception with family celebrating the wedding. I assume that on social media you have also posted about your wedding, the party after the wedding and being married.

Jan 6, 2024
Hello Canuc78,

The following are the answers-
  1. Yes, the marriage was an arranged marriage. We spoke for 3 months on WhatsApp and after that I went to India to meet her in person, and got engaged eventually. The engagement ceremony was held infront of ~60 family members (added these photos to the "Proof of Relationship" document) . All the relationship history right from how they found the profile on a matrimony website till the marriage, has been mentioned in IMM 5532 form where it asks "Was your marriage arranged".
  2. I went to India for 3 weeks to get engaged in September 2023. The plan was to have traditional wedding sometime in the second half of 2024 , to be precise, sometime between September and November. As there was a long gap between engagement and traditional wedding, we thought it would be better for both of us to get married in a register office (similar to that of court marriage) first, so the PR process can be started for my spouse and have the traditional wedding done later on in second half of 2024. By the time we have our traditional marriage done, if my spouse gets PR, both of us can travel to Canada together. Register marriage happened in the presence of parents from both sides. Photos of register marriage will also be uploaded as "proof of relationship" .
  3. Only 3 witnesses along with Bride and groom are allowed in a Register office in India. We cannot have large gathering in a Register office. To be honest, there wasn't any family gathering after our register marriage. I made it up just so I can put a count of 70 in the IMM 5532 form, and that's the question is all about.
  4. Both of us created a post on Facebook and posted our register marriage picture on Instagram stating that we got married. We also changed our relationship status on Facebook and made it Public. We have our friends and family members comments to the post on Facebook and to the picture on Instagram as most of them knew that we were getting register married first. We are planning to upload these as proofs to say that our marriage is legit.
  5. My spouse uploaded engagement photo on Facebook.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Canuc78,

The following are the answers-
  1. Yes, the marriage was an arranged marriage. We spoke for 3 months on WhatsApp and after that I went to India to meet her in person, and got engaged eventually. The engagement ceremony was held infront of ~60 family members (added these photos to the "Proof of Relationship" document) . All the relationship history right from how they found the profile on a matrimony website till the marriage, has been mentioned in IMM 5532 form where it asks "Was your marriage arranged".
  2. I went to India for 3 weeks to get engaged in September 2023. The plan was to have traditional wedding sometime in the second half of 2024 , to be precise, sometime between September and November. As there was a long gap between engagement and traditional wedding, we thought it would be better for both of us to get married in a register office (similar to that of court marriage) first, so the PR process can be started for my spouse and have the traditional wedding done later on in second half of 2024. By the time we have our traditional marriage done, if my spouse gets PR, both of us can travel to Canada together. Register marriage happened in the presence of parents from both sides. Photos of register marriage will also be uploaded as "proof of relationship" .
  3. Only 3 witnesses along with Bride and groom are allowed in a Register office in India. We cannot have large gathering in a Register office. To be honest, there wasn't any family gathering after our register marriage. I made it up just so I can put a count of 70 in the IMM 5532 form, and that's the question is all about.
  4. Both of us created a post on Facebook and posted our register marriage picture on Instagram stating that we got married. We also changed our relationship status on Facebook and made it Public. We have our friends and family members comments to the post on Facebook and to the picture on Instagram as most of them knew that we were getting register married first. We are planning to upload these as proofs to say that our marriage is legit.
  5. My spouse uploaded engagement photo on Facebook.
How much time did you and your spouse spent together as married couple in India after the wedding/court marriage?