+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse don't have Status. I need to file my taxes

Ms.terry

Mar 21, 2024
I just got married last Nov. 2023 And I am planning to file my taxes for last year. I would have to change my marital status and provide for my spouse's name, sin and income. Unfortunately he doesn't have status at the moment and I'm planning to sponsor him to stay here with me and our baby. Will CRA disclose my husband's information with CBSA if I provide his information for my tax filing? I couldn't apply for the CCB as well because of the same situation. I really hope someone could advice me on this or could share their own experiences. I will really appreciate the help.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
I just got married last Nov. 2023 And I am planning to file my taxes for last year. I would have to change my marital status and provide for my spouse's name, sin and income. Unfortunately he doesn't have status at the moment and I'm planning to sponsor him to stay here with me and our baby. Will CRA disclose my husband's information with CBSA if I provide his information for my tax filing? I couldn't apply for the CCB as well because of the same situation. I really hope someone could advice me on this or could share their own experiences. I will really appreciate the help.
From your other post, you mentioned about your bestfriend having this issue:

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/spouse-filing-tax-but-i-have-no-status-in-canada-yet.550528/#post-10788092

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So you are PR or citizen? You have to say you are married when filing your taxes.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
CRA will not disclose status. You should definitely file taxes as married and not mispresent your status to CRA to make sure you can qualify for benefits.

Reactions: Ms.terry

Ms.terry

Mar 21, 2024
CRA will not disclose status. You should definitely file taxes as married and not mispresent your status to CRA to make sure you can qualify for benefits.
Okay thank you. Then if I'm gonna file my taxes, I can also apply my Canada Child Benefit? I'm just worried that they will disclose my husband's info.

Ms.terry

Mar 21, 2024
Is the child in Canada with you?
Yes. He's with us. Was born Jan. When I applied CRA sent me a mail asking for my spouse info. I didn't respond to it until the deadline so they told me I wasn't eligible. I'm now also wondering if I can reapply.