+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spouse already in Canada. What order should we do things

Jan 27, 2024
Hi,

My wife has a V-1, 10 year, multiple entry, FPC. I'm a Canadian Citizen (by birth), gainfully employed well above income thresholds. As of now she has been in Canada for 3 months. Her PR application is straightforward and I have all the documents. My question Is on the order of things I should do.

As I understand this is what I should do.

- Apply for PR immediately
- Wait for AOR (this takes months I guess)
- Apply for visitor visa extension before the six months of her visit are mentioned
- Once I get the AOR apply for Spousal Open Work Permit

Questions:
1. How long does the AOR typically take?
2. Do I even need to apply for a visitor visa extension? It says nothing about 6 months and the CBSA agent put no stamps in her passport.

Thanks

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My wife has a V-1, 10 year, multiple entry, FPC. I'm a Canadian Citizen (by birth), gainfully employed well above income thresholds. As of now she has been in Canada for 3 months. Her PR application is straightforward and I have all the documents. My question Is on the order of things I should do.
What's an FPC?

- Apply for PR immediately
- Wait for AOR (this takes months I guess)
- Apply for visitor visa extension before the six months of her visit are mentioned
- Once I get the AOR apply for Spousal Open Work Permit

Questions:
1. How long does the AOR typically take?
2. Do I even need to apply for a visitor visa extension? It says nothing about 6 months and the CBSA agent put no stamps in her passport.

Thanks
Order is correct.

1. AOR 1-3 months, 60 days or so pretty normal, sometimes quicker.
2. It is advisable. The six months applies normally if no other date written in.

Jan 27, 2024
What's an FPC?

Order is correct.

1. AOR 1-3 months, 60 days or so pretty normal, sometimes quicker.
2. It is advisable. The six months applies normally if no other date written in.
In reality, once the PR application is submitted, we should apply for the visitor visa extension at least a month before the expiry date. Is that correct?

Jan 27, 2024
That's what is recommended. Technically you can do it just before the date but if there's a problem, it's now yours, and why worry?
Oh you're absolutely correct. Thank you for being so kind and helping. One last question, What if the processing of the extension takes longer than the expiration date of the 6 month stay?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Oh you're absolutely correct. Thank you for being so kind and helping. One last question, What if the processing of the extension takes longer than the expiration date of the 6 month stay?
As long as it's submitted correctly before the expiry it's considered ok - I forget how they call it but the submission is enough. (One exception, except if returned for error, but I think that's done reasonably quickly - certainly within the 30 days.)