+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal work permit expiry coming up while waiting for PR application decision

load

Jan 21, 2023
Hello everyone,

My spouse and I landed in Canada in 2019 February holding work permits, hers tied to mine. I applied for a new job in 2021 summer and had to wait until 2022 January to get the new work permits issued. My work permit is valid for 2 years, however my spouse's expires this July, along with her passport.
Last March I entered the Express Entry pool targeting the CEC program and received an ITA at the end of September. By the end of October, we have gathered everything that was needed for the application and submitted it. The last update on the application was in November, them reporting that we passed our medical examinations.
Now there is still time until my spouse's work permit and passport expires, but I would like to be prepared for every eventuality and thus have a few questions:
  • What steps do we need to take, if any, in order to ensure her stay in Canada and keep her current job?
  • Should she need a new work permit to bridge the gap between her current one expiring and the PR decision, seeing as she needs a new passport for a new work permit, how can she get a new passport, apply for a new work permit all the while maintaining her temporary resident status and her job?
Any insight would be much appreciated.

tokyotsui

Star Member
Nov 26, 2021
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
24-11-2022
AOR Received.
24-11-2022
Passport Req..
27-04-2023
1. Get a new passport immediately. Depends on your country of citizenship, usually they will accept renewal in the last 6 months of validity.

2. After you got the new passport, I suggest to wait until end of May. Given current pace you will probably be approved for PR before that. If not apply for BOWP as soon as May ends (safest option is you submit the work permit application on June 1st, you can always withdraw that application if it is not being processed when you got PR).