+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship

mop333

Feb 3, 2024
Hi! I hope you are having a good day. My fiancé and I are going to be applying for a spousal sponsorship. We are returning to Canada at the end of Feb, and we'll be getting married in the first few weeks we get back. He is an American citizen, and going to be entering Canada on a tourist visa. We will be submitting the application once we receive our marriage certificate, we have gone through and have all the required information for the application. Once we receive the AOR we will be applying for an open work permit, and at some point we will apply for a visa extension as well for him. So basically the idea is, return to Canada, get married within the first few weeks we are there, submit the application once we receive the marriage certificate, apply for a visa extension, then apply for an open work permit once we receive the AOR. We understand that they have more scrutiny for marriages that are under 2 years, but we have plenty of proof to show them that the relationship is genuine. We don't want the application to be denied, so I'm just hoping I could get some feedback or recommendations from y'all to see if it would work out the way we are hoping. We would be applying under the inland sponsor. Do you think we will have any issues doing it this way? Also, when we send in the spousal application, should we send in a visit visa extension at the same time, or wait until there is about 3 months left on the visa? Thank you for taking the time to read, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi! I hope you are having a good day. My fiancé and I are going to be applying for a spousal sponsorship. We are returning to Canada at the end of Feb, and we'll be getting married in the first few weeks we get back. He is an American citizen, and going to be entering Canada on a tourist visa. We will be submitting the application once we receive our marriage certificate, we have gone through and have all the required information for the application. Once we receive the AOR we will be applying for an open work permit, and at some point we will apply for a visa extension as well for him. So basically the idea is, return to Canada, get married within the first few weeks we are there, submit the application once we receive the marriage certificate, apply for a visa extension, then apply for an open work permit once we receive the AOR. We understand that they have more scrutiny for marriages that are under 2 years, but we have plenty of proof to show them that the relationship is genuine. We don't want the application to be denied, so I'm just hoping I could get some feedback or recommendations from y'all to see if it would work out the way we are hoping. We would be applying under the inland sponsor. Do you think we will have any issues doing it this way? Also, when we send in the spousal application, should we send in a visit visa extension at the same time, or wait until there is about 3 months left on the visa? Thank you for taking the time to read, I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!
Doesn't sound like a complicated case although you do not say how long you've been with your fiancé.

Otherwise most important advice is to start going through the docs, iterate through again and again, and check carefully.

You don't usually need to apply for the visit extension until 30 days before.

mop333

Feb 3, 2024
Doesn't sound like a complicated case although you do not say how long you've been with your fiancé.

Otherwise most important advice is to start going through the docs, iterate through again and again, and check carefully.

You don't usually need to apply for the visit extension until 30 days before.
hey! thank you for responding, we have been together for about a year and a half now, we were only engaged last July though. We knew each other about 3ish years ago, but we lost contact for about a year, and then reconnected and got together. Not sure if we should include that on the application as well, or just since we reconnected. Also, since he will be staying in Canada under a tourist visa would we put that he's living in Canada on the application? or that he still lives in the States and is currently just visiting? We are going to have joint bank account statements to show that we are at the same address, as well as the same phone plan. thank you again for responding, I hope you're having a good day! :D

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hey! thank you for responding, we have been together for about a year and a half now, we were only engaged last July though. We knew each other about 3ish years ago, but we lost contact for about a year, and then reconnected and got together. Not sure if we should include that on the application as well, or just since we reconnected. Also, since he will be staying in Canada under a tourist visa would we put that he's living in Canada on the application? or that he still lives in the States and is currently just visiting? We are going to have joint bank account statements to show that we are at the same address, as well as the same phone plan. thank you again for responding, I hope you're having a good day! :D
How much time have you spent in person? Over how many visits? Have you ever lived together? During the 1.5 years have you been Western-style dating? In that case you would lots of proof and photos of time spent together and with others as a couple. Will you be having a wedding that makes sense based on your backgrounds? Will you be having a ceremony and reception? If not I would encourage you to have something even if small. It does not have to be expensive but would provide proof that this is a genuine wedding not a wedding for sponsorship purposes. Will your families be in attendance? If not why not?

Yes he can say that his residential and mailing address is the same as yours when applying for sponsorship and when applying for an SOWP after you receive AOR from the spousal sponsorship. When entering Canada he should list his US address (hopefully he has one) and only appear to be visiting Canada. For example he should not pack as though he is moving to Canada while only visiting. If he does have any interaction with CBSA he should be honest about the plans to get married and apply for sponsorship but if not asked I would not volunteer the information. This is allowed under dual intent.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Assuming this is not an arranged marriage or something like that, and that you've spent a fair bit of time together (not an online relationship), you shouldn't have much trouble. There's a point n the application about how you met, and you can add letters of explanation if needed. My suggestion here is to keep it brief and factual, don't write a romantic novel. Read the instructions.

When he applies, yes, he can indicate you are living together in Canada when filing the application - no need to do so when arriving (because not yet living together). Another poster addressed the issue of arriving and dealign with CBSA.