File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good afternoon everyone! Hope all is well.

I used an immigration lawyer for my spousal sponsorship application (which I highly regret since my case was fairly simple). I applied in July 2020 and finally received a letter in regards to paying the permanent residence fee $500 in December 2021. In February 2022 I received a letter from IRCC stating that my husband should complete biometrics. In March 2022, I received a letter from IRCC asking if I was in receipt of social assistance ever since I submitted my application back in July 2020. I was on social assistance from June 2021 to August 2021, I paid back OW the money I owed them. OW sent me a receipt stating that I've paid back everything, however they wrote down the wrong amount that I paid making it seem as if I was about $3 short when in reality I paid back everything. I didn't see the mistake on the letter and my lawyers didn't see that either they ended up sending that receipt along with a letter they wrote to immigration. Two weeks later, they sent me a letter stating that their concerns wasn't satisfied because I didn't pay back social assistance. I want to reapply again and do it myself without my lawyer however he's saying that my case is complicated and they want to charge me $5000 for reapplying... that's crazy. My hubby is overseas and I've been raising my son alone, I cannot afford this amount of money but I'm also scared that I'll miss something so minuscule in the application .

I don't know what to do someone please help I need some advice.

Thank you in advance!!
You can't take social assistance while sponsoring a spouse. This disqualifies you as a sponsor.

You can certainly apply on your own. There is no need for a lawyer.

Can you confirm that your application has actually been refused now? Or are you still waiting for a formal refusal from IRCC?

chayillove27

Apr 30, 2022
You can't take social assistance while sponsoring a spouse. This disqualifies you as a sponsor.

Can you confirm that your application has actually been refused now? Or are you still waiting for a formal refusal from IRCC?

Thanks for your reply scylla and yes I already received a formal refusal from IRCC. Do you think that my case is complicated? Why would my lawyers say that it's complicated?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for your reply scylla and yes I already received a formal refusal from IRCC. Do you think that my case is complicated? Why would my lawyers say that it's complicated?
I'm not sure why the lawyer would say your case is complicated. Perhaps because you already have one refusal due to being on social assistance.

Hopefully you have been off social assistance since August 2021 and haven't taken it again. With your new application, I would recommend you provide evidence that you stopped taking OW in August 2021. Make sure you don't go on OW again while the new application is being processed.

chayillove27

Apr 30, 2022
I'm not sure why the lawyer would say your case is complicated. Perhaps because you already have one refusal due to being on social assistance.

Hopefully you have been off social assistance since August 2021 and haven't taken it again. With your new application, I would recommend you provide evidence that you stopped taking OW in August 2021. Make sure you don't go on OW again while the new application is being processed.
I just finished my maternity leave and I'm currently looking for a job. I know that a job isn't a requirement for reapplying for spousal but do you think its best that I provide them with a job letter first before reapplying again?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just finished my maternity leave and I'm currently looking for a job. I know that a job isn't a requirement for reapplying for spousal but do you think its best that I provide them with a job letter first before reapplying again?
Yes, it would be better if you find a job before reapplying.

Queryquery

Jan 27, 2024
Hi did your spouse got his PR finally?