+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship Outland changing provinces

Sammy122

Jan 3, 2024
I applied for spousal sponsorship in Quebec and got the csq now I’m moving to Alberta. Will this help shorten the timeline in getting my spouse here?(once I update the province of intent) Also does it carry on with consideration of the months that have already elapsed or does it restart the application timeline? Any info would be a great help!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I applied for spousal sponsorship in Quebec and got the csq now I’m moving to Alberta. Will this help shorten the timeline in getting my spouse here?(once I update the province of intent) Also does it carry on with consideration of the months that have already elapsed or does it restart the application timeline? Any info would be a great help!
Yes, it should (or might) shorten it due to the issues with Quebec spousal sponsorships right now. You should update the province of intent after you move (with supporting info like updated ID).

It doesn't 'carry on with consideration', it just continues as before save that they will jump any parts that require province of Quebec agreement/approval. So no, it does not start over.

Sammy122

Jan 3, 2024
Yes, it should (or might) shorten it due to the issues with Quebec spousal sponsorships right now. You should update the province of intent after you move (with supporting info like updated ID).

It doesn't 'carry on with consideration', it just continues as before save that they will jump any parts that require province of Quebec agreement/approval. So no, it does not start over.
Thank you so much I appreciate your response!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you so much I appreciate your response!
I warn that they seem to be slow at 'updating' files and moving them to different procedures where necessary. So after you update the file, you might either call IRCC - after 4 to 6 weeks or so - or inquire through your MP.

Be upfront that you'd like to check the status because you moved provinces from quebec to alberta and want to make sure it's not getting held up unnecessarily.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
There seems to be many moving out of Quebec to try and have spousal sponsorship shortened and get access to healthcare for their spouse. I would make sure to prove that you are relocating permanently to Alberta not just temporarily for example including proof of employment in Alberta for example. May seem like overkill but IRCC and the province of Quebec knows that people are trying to move spousal sponsorship out of Quebec to secure faster processing. Moving to Alberta versus Ottawa, for example, is less of a warning sign. Some people are trying to move while also continuing to work remotely for their Quebec employer and many do intend to return to the Quebec after sponsorship. This is relatively new so we haven’t seen how picky Quebec and IRCC will get if they suspect people plan on returning to Quebec soon after sponsorship is granted.

Reactions: RajdeepC