+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship: Inland or Outland ?

Salmazog

Jul 10, 2020
Hey guys

So, next year I'm going to apply for a spousal sponsorship but I have doubts about being inland or outland.
I am from Brazil and I came to Canada with a visitor Visa to visit someone from my family who lives in Canada and then I met my, now, fiance (canadian) I stayed in Canada from may to September 2019, came back to Brazil and then came back to Canada in October 2019, but now staying in my fiance's house. I was supposed to leave Canada in April 2020, but due to covid 19 I had to extend my Visa to more 6 months, meanwhile we got engaged and are planning our wedding for 2021. But im living with him for almost a year now, and I plan on extending my Visa again so we can get married and apply for the spousal sponsorship and that's where I dont know if I should apply inland or outland! Id appreciate if someone could help me with that!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Apply inland if you want the possibility of an OWP while it processes. Apply outland if you want freedom to leave Canada and try (though no guarantee) to re-enter.

Timelines right now are insane so no one really knows which option will be faster next year.

Reactions: Salmazog

Salmazog

Jul 10, 2020
Apply inland if you want the possibility of an OWP while it processes. Apply outland if you want freedom to leave Canada and try (though no guarantee) to re-enter.

Timelines right now are insane so no one really knows which option will be faster next year.
Yeah I just didn't know if could apply inland with just a visitor visa... I thought inland is for people who have study permit or something like that. Thank you for replying!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Yeah I just didn't know if could apply inland with just a visitor visa... I thought inland is for people who have study permit or something like that. Thank you for replying!
You can apply inland even if you have no status in Canada. You just need status to apply for a work permit.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Okay! I got it now... so I'll probably apply inland because I want a OWP
Then you need to make sure you stay in status until you apply OR you need to get a courthouse marriage now, do your big formal wedding next year, and apply while you are still in status right now.

Salmazog

Jul 10, 2020
Yes, I'll probably extend my Visa anyway, it's not like I can go anywhere right now, theres no flights to Brazil at all due to covid 19 ‍♀