+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship, can I apply for OWP just after getting AOR or need to wait for CSQ?

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
As per title, I will be applying for inland spouse sponsorship. Can I apply for OWP just after getting AOR or need to wait for CSQ? Someone told me that I need to wait for CSQ, but that would delay my OWP by a long time

Ste_Vege

Star Member
Nov 26, 2016
Hello, in short yes you need a CSQ before applying for OWP in Quebec. Here it follows some information about the specific program that can help you.

"Apply for an open work permit before obtaining your permanent residence"
https://www.quebec.ca/en/immigration/immigration-programs/open-work-permit

What program did you use to apply to immigrate? Quebec Skilled Worker/Sponsorship/etc?
Cheers
It's spousal sponsorship and, in the meantime, I have been told that in order to apply for OWP I only need AoR. Are you 100% sure that I need CSQ too, even if it is spousal sponsorship?

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
It's spousal sponsorship and, in the meantime, I have been told that in order to apply for OWP I only need AoR. Are you 100% sure that I need CSQ too, even if it is spousal sponsorship?
The information I posted above was specifically for people who applied for "Regular Skilled Worker Program or the Artificial Intelligence, Information Technologies and Visual Effects Permanent Immigration Pilot Program". In the case of sponsorship I cannot say for sure.

As a rule of thumb, if it involves work or study in Quebec, you will need a CSQ or CAQ to work or study respectively, regardless of the program.
Recently the IRCC launched the IMP+ program for Quebec, which allows to apply for OWP. I think they ask for CSQ because AoR only means they(the IRCC) opened your file, but haven't check anything in it yet, so from their perspective you haven't pass any evaluations yet.

That been said, if an immigration agent told you that with AoR you can do it, then go for it, as that would be the final and most reliable answer.

Best of luck

Last edited:

LOLR1

Star Member
Aug 11, 2021
Hey @Ste_Vege, good news, I called a friend and asked them about your question. I mixed a couple things before, sorry for that. CSQ is not needed for open work permit in your case. Told you I didn't know enough about sponsorship haha
Here it is more information

"Once they receive their acknowledgement of receipt letter, they can apply for an open work permit. They must apply online. "
https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Cheers and good luck, hope you can become PR soon.

Last edited:

Buta55

Jul 19, 2023
Hey @Ste_Vege, good news, I called a friend and asked them about your question. I mixed a couple things before, sorry for that. CSQ is not needed for open work permit in your case. Told you I didn't know enough about sponsorship haha
Here it is more information

"Once they receive their acknowledgement of receipt letter, they can apply for an open work permit. They must apply online. "
https://www.ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Cheers and good luck, hope you can become PR soon.

Hi Lolr1, please help me with this case.
I got CSQ and applied for IMP+ in May. I got married in June and updated spouse status on Arrima. My wife sent documents and obtained CSQ in Aug. She only can apply for OWP after I obtain it (IMP+)
We’re still confused that since we got married after I had applied for PR (biometrics & medical exam passed) Do I have to re-apply for PR bc of the status changing on my CSQ? And my wife can apply for PR since she got CSQ?
Any help would be much appreciated