+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship and Work Permit

JJKurtzy

May 24, 2018
Hello, my name is Jacob and I am from the U.S. My wife is a Canadian citizen and she is sponsoring me for permanent residency. We are pretty much done with the spousal sponsorship forms but now are stuck on the work permit process. I do not have any job offers, and I don't know what type of work permit I am applying for. The site says to apply for the Open Work Permit, but again I have no job offer, so what do I do? I believe there is only 2 forms that I have to fill out (Document Checklist and Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker) since we are not using a representative and we are not common-law partners, is that a valid assumption? Thank you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hello, my name is Jacob and I am from the U.S. My wife is a Canadian citizen and she is sponsoring me for permanent residency. We are pretty much done with the spousal sponsorship forms but now are stuck on the work permit process. I do not have any job offers, and I don't know what type of work permit I am applying for. The site says to apply for the Open Work Permit, but again I have no job offer, so what do I do? I believe there is only 2 forms that I have to fill out (Document Checklist and Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Worker) since we are not using a representative and we are not common-law partners, is that a valid assumption? Thank you.
You can only apply for an Open Work Permit with an INLAND application, meaning you are already a visitor inside Canada, will file your PR app from here, and intend to stay inside Canada for entire duration of your app processing.

If you will stay in USA to submit the PR app, that is an OUTLAND application and there is NO Work Permit associated this this kind of app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
You put N/A for all of the employer/LMIA questions.