+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal PR and OWP timeline?

Jul 29, 2021
hi! First time poster here so bare with me! I am a Canadian citizen that lived in the USA for 16 years. I have my PR card for the USA. my husband is an American citizen.
In September 2020 we came to Canada to visit for a couple months, help my mom care for my brother after surgery and start preparing things to move to Canada in 2021. Then the lockdown happened, my brothers surgery got delayed and ultimately we decided to stay and start the immigration process from inland.
We got receipt of them recieving his PR application and OWP application on February 25th 2021.
Everytime I look online at the "processing times" we have by far exceeded those timelines... we are at month 5 now.
I know the PR will be a while but how long will it be for the OWP? My husband has always been a hard worker and not being able to work is driving him insane.
We also need to go back to NC to get the rest of our stuff and cannot do that until his work permit arrives.
Has anyone gone through this recently? When did you send in your papers vs when did you get your OWP?
Thank you in advance!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
hi! First time poster here so bare with me! I am a Canadian citizen that lived in the USA for 16 years. I have my PR card for the USA. my husband is an American citizen.
In September 2020 we came to Canada to visit for a couple months, help my mom care for my brother after surgery and start preparing things to move to Canada in 2021. Then the lockdown happened, my brothers surgery got delayed and ultimately we decided to stay and start the immigration process from inland.
We got receipt of them recieving his PR application and OWP application on February 25th 2021.
Everytime I look online at the "processing times" we have by far exceeded those timelines... we are at month 5 now.
I know the PR will be a while but how long will it be for the OWP? My husband has always been a hard worker and not being able to work is driving him insane.
We also need to go back to NC to get the rest of our stuff and cannot do that until his work permit arrives.
Has anyone gone through this recently? When did you send in your papers vs when did you get your OWP?
Thank you in advance!
The timelines are pre-COVID and unfortunately no longer apply. Everything is taking longer.

OWP processing is taking around 8-10 months right now.

The OWP doesn't guarantee re-entry into Canada. It will be the same regardless whether you go now or after he has the OWP.

Jul 29, 2021
The timelines are pre-COVID and unfortunately no longer apply. Everything is taking longer.

OWP processing is taking around 8-10 months right now.

The OWP doesn't guarantee re-entry into Canada. It will be the same regardless whether you go now or after he has the OWP.

Our lawyer said that once we have the work visa we will be able to go back to get our belongings. Hopefully by then the border restrictions will be lifted as well.