+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship of spouse (was outland, now inland in Canada)

johnnybgoode

Aug 24, 2009
Hi All ---

wondering if anyone can help us confirm 'what to do next' !

We sent the spousal sponsorship application to the U.K. - from France - with my wifes' medical records going to Paris. At the time, we understood if I was sponsoring while in France (before arr. in Canada), all papers had to go to the CDN immig. office where her passport was issued -- i.e. U.K. / London.

As you can guess, it took two months for the U.K. office to tell us we now need to send everything to Mississauga.

As everything has been stamped by the U.K. office, we're hoping it's not necessary to re-write/re-start the application and just add a covering letter explaining we are now in Canada? i.e. - is it ok to apply as inland applicants w/ papers started two months ago as outland?

I've looked across the boards here, but cant find info as it would relate to us - we'd be grateful to anyone who can help --- !

Cheers,

John.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry John but you did it wrong from the start. The first part of the process for outland applications (where the application is assessed at an overseas visa office) is ALWAYS sent to Mississauga to decide the eligibility of the sponsor. Inland applications are only where the sponsor and applicant are both living in Canada at the time of the application. From what I read in your post, it seems that you are now both in Canada but you do not state if your are a citizen or permanent resident. That could have a bearing on your application.

In any event, it's not really "starting over" as it was done incorrectly from the start. So there is NO application in process for you as of yet. You have to send the forms either to CPC Mississauga or CPC Vegreville depending on whether you want to do an inland or outland application. If you decide to do inland process through Vegreville, make sure that all of the forms are the same as the processing is a little different. Also, ensure that the police clearances are not more than 3 months old. So, sorry to say but you are starting from scratch.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
[author=johnnybgoode link=topic=29101.msg168126#msg168126 date=1258391634]
Hi All ---

wondering if anyone can help us confirm 'what to do next' !

We sent the spousal sponsorship application to the U.K. - from France - with my wifes' medical records going to Paris. At the time, we understood if I was sponsoring while in France (before arr. in Canada), all papers had to go to the CDN immig. office where her passport was issued -- i.e. U.K. / London.

As you can guess, it took two months for the U.K. office to tell us we now need to send everything to Mississauga.

Sorry, but it very clearly tells you in the sponsorship instructions that ALL outland applications should be sent to the Case Processing Centre in Mississauga, not directly to the visa office. So that is not CIC's fault but your own for not reading and following the instructions. CPC Mississauga is responsible for approving the sponsor. Once they do that, they forward the application to the visa office.

As everything has been stamped by the U.K. office, we're hoping it's not necessary to re-write/re-start the application and just add a covering letter explaining we are now in Canada? i.e. - is it ok to apply as inland applicants w/ papers started two months ago as outland?

No. Inland and outland applications are 2 completely different applications with different requirements. You cannot simply 'switch' from an outland to an inland application. You must first cancel your outland application and apply inland if that is what you want to do. You can still continue with an outland application even if you are residing in Canada.

You need to contact the London visa office directly to find out what they are doing/have done with your application, i.e. did they forward it to Mississauga, OR are they sending it back to you and you need to submit it to Mississauga yourself? You can find contact info. for the London visa office on the CIC website.

I've looked across the boards here, but cant find info as it would relate to us - we'd be grateful to anyone who can help --- !

Cheers,

John.

johnnybgoode

Aug 24, 2009
Hi rjessome & ariell ---

Thanks for the quick replies - looks like I went off the map w/ wrong info.

Think it will be start again. Looking at the dates on the French police clearance reports, they have now lapsed having been issued Aug 5. The medical reports may also be out of date -- unless they are valid for six months?

I am a returning CDN citizen - we are both now in Canada, my wife has a six-month stamp in her U.K. passport.

All paperwork was returned after two months - so nothing was put in progress - I reckon its start over time. As inland applicants via Mississauga.

Many thanks again R & A ---

John.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

johnnybgoode said:
Hi rjessome & ariell ---

Thanks for the quick replies - looks like I went off the map w/ wrong info.

Think it will be start again. Looking at the dates on the French police clearance reports, they have now lapsed having been issued Aug 5. The medical reports may also be out of date -- unless they are valid for six months?

I am a returning CDN citizen - we are both now in Canada, my wife has a six-month stamp in her U.K. passport.

All paperwork was returned after two months - so nothing was put in progress - I reckon its start over time. As inland applicants via Mississauga.

Many thanks again R & A ---

John.
Medical is valid for 1 year.
Inland applications go through Vegreville. You really should consider doing outland (your spouse can reside in Canada) much faster through Mississauga and select London as the processing office.

PMM

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
John, the two types of application are two very different things. I hope you're read more about them so you won't rush into something again ;)
Here's a good thread to start in: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t25772.0.html

As you already have all the forms for the outland app completed, I'd suggest going the outland route. And it's likely to be faster or just as fast as an inland app.

London has a posted processing time of 2-8 months. Add to that about a month of processing in Mississauga and you could be done in ... 4 months if you're lucky.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/05-fc-spouses.asp

For inland, you are looking at at least 6-7 months, that's how long the first stage approval at Vegreville will take.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp

johnnybgoode

Aug 24, 2009
Hi PMM & mitamata ---

Thanks for your additional info - we really appreciate it. We've really did try to do everything correctly, but no sure why we didnt read the glaring obvious. Nevermind - its a drag, but we'll get it sorted.

Glad that the medical is valid for a year - that became an episode getting that done. We may have to re-do the police report, as it may only be valid for three months.....will double check that.

So, we go outland (although we're in Canada) via Mississauga and select London as the preffered/necessary processing point.

thanks to you both for the extra info -- we'll have a look at those links. -

hope we get it right this time.

Cheers,

J.

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Yes, you will have to redo the police clearance. Those should not be more than 3 months old when they reach Mississauga.

Good luck! :)