+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsorship info.

aishababer

Feb 28, 2009
hi,
i just need information about my case and hope someone can give me more information about sponsoring a husband.
First and foremost i came here here in canada as a live-in caregiver and sponsored my husband. He arrive in Canada May 28 2009 and after 8 months wiith me he left me. My questions are: am i still reponsible for him since he left me? as far aa i known i am responsible for him 3 to 5 yrs. Am i authorized to request the immigration to send him back? He even told me he will sign a divorce for me... so frustrated...

pls need help...many thanks
frustrated wife

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

aishababer said:
hi,
i just need information about my case and hope someone can give me more information about sponsoring a husband.
First and foremost i came here here in canada as a live-in caregiver and sponsored my husband. He arrive in Canada May 28 2009 and after 8 months wiith me he left me. My questions are: am i still reponsible for him since he left me? as far aa i known i am responsible for him 3 to 5 yrs. Am i authorized to request the immigration to send him back? He even told me he will sign a divorce for me... so frustrated...

pls need help...many thanks
frustrated wife
1. If your husband was included in your PR application then you have no responsibilities.
2. If you sponsored him, then you are responsible for 3 years if he claims welfare.
3. If there was no fraud, CIC won't send him home, because you want him to go.

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Just to elaborate a little on what PMM said - when someone sponsors a spouse they sign an "undertaking" that says they promise to repay the government for social assistance benefits (if any) collected by their partner during the period of the undertaking. So, if your husband - for any reason - applies for and collects social assistance benefits (welfare) in Canada during the period of undertaking (if there is one - typically it's 3 years after landing for a spousal sponsorship), you will be expected to repay that amount to the government.

Also, as PMM says, you cannot force your husband to go back to his country just because he left you - or because you don't want to be responsible for him. He acquired permanent status in Canada and as long as he did not do that by fraudulent means, he's entitled to stay here - whether he's married to you or not.