Interview........
Completed May 9th , 2011
Passport Req..
05-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-2011
Visa office Singapore
Total time waited: April 08, 2010, - September 11, 2011

I have returned home from Vietnam with my wife! The wait was very long and VERY WORTH IT. We are now a family again. I get to work hard then come home to my wife everyday. It is a pleasure Indescribable with words.

As i was leaving for the airport I thought to myself, " nothing could go wrong now", and then......

When we where leaving Hanoi the Immigration officer blackmailed me AGAIN!!!! he said our visa was incorrect, "it should come from Hanoi not Singapore" he said. After 30 minutes of interrogation i was able to see what he really wanted. MONEY! he kept brushing me off when I gave him credible facts to prove my case. ( conformation of permanent residence, Landing VISA) I finally said I will call the Canadian embassy at which point he took my phone and said "I dont need to do that, its not Necessary ". He kept saying " I am thirsty/ Buy me a drink". My wife told me it was slang. He wanted a bribe to over look this error in our paperwork. We only had 200,000 vnd on us and he took it all. It is not a lot of money but I was still very angry because I couldnt do anything. I am so lucky to live in Canada where I have never had any government agent/officer blackmail me right to my face. WORD TO THE WISE: when leaving Vietnam, go through HCMC. They are more "visitor friendly" there. This is the second time I was blackmailed though Hanoi.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their continued support and help. Without the immigration knowledge/resources that I found on this forum, I would not of been able to reunite with my wife and have a happy family in Canada.

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!
:)

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Congratulations and jubilations! Forget the corrupt government official...they are a dime a dozen in many places. Life with your beloved wife by your side in Canada? Priceless! ;D

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Amazing how prevalent corruption is in other countries. We take a lot for granted in Canada. Congrats to you and your wife and may you have a "happily ever after" in Canada indeed.
Solid said:
Visa office Singapore
Total time waited: April 08, 2010, - September 11, 2011

I have returned home from Vietnam with my wife! The wait was very long and VERY WORTH IT. We are now a family again. I get to work hard then come home to my wife everyday. It is a pleasure Indescribable with words.

As i was leaving for the airport I thought to myself, " nothing could go wrong now", and then......

When we where leaving Hanoi the Immigration officer blackmailed me AGAIN!!!! he said our visa was incorrect, "it should come from Hanoi not Singapore" he said. After 30 minutes of interrogation i was able to see what he really wanted. MONEY! he kept brushing me off when I gave him credible facts to prove my case. ( conformation of permanent residence, Landing VISA) I finally said I will call the Canadian embassy at which point he took my phone and said "I dont need to do that, its not Necessary ". He kept saying " I am thirsty/ Buy me a drink". My wife told me it was slang. He wanted a bribe to over look this error in our paperwork. We only had 200,000 vnd on us and he took it all. It is not a lot of money but I was still very angry because I couldnt do anything. I am so lucky to live in Canada where I have never had any government agent/officer blackmail me right to my face. WORD TO THE WISE: when leaving Vietnam, go through HCMC. They are more "visitor friendly" there. This is the second time I was blackmailed though Hanoi.

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for their continued support and help. Without the immigration knowledge/resources that I found on this forum, I would not of been able to reunite with my wife and have a happy family in Canada.

Thanks and GOOD LUCK!
:)

mimina82

Star Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visa Office......
Scarborough
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08/28/2014
AOR Received.
10/29/2014
File Transfer...
01/09/2015 (line later disappeared from ecas)
Interview........
03/27/2015
So happy for you Solid!! Well worth the wait and now you are reunited!! Enjoy every minute twice as much for every minute you spent apart!

jiyamano

May 31, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
File Transfer...
LANDED..........
Quince777 said:
Yeah, in some countries this is the norm.
U r so right. Its a pain in the * @ #$! .... they can do anything to just get some cash or anything. They are under impression that people who immigrate to Canada, UK or USA are very rich!!!! :mad:

anyways, Congratulations on Happy ending... :D

Cheers,

awor

Nov 4, 2010
Oregon to Alberta
Visa Office......
Buffalo -> LA
App. Filed.......
26 Aug 2011
AOR Received.
15 Dec 2011
File Transfer...
[b]CPC-M to Buffalo:[/b] 03 Nov 2011 [b]Buffalo to LA:[/b] 19 Jan 2012
Med's Done....
11 Apr 2011 [b]Ecas shows received [/b]5 Mar 2012
Passport Req..
7 Mar 2012 [b]Decision Made[/b]: 1 Apr 2012
VISA ISSUED...
29 Mar 2012 [b] CORP Received[/b]: 19 Apr 2012
LANDED..........
Sumas: 25 April 2012 / [b]PR Cards Received[/b]: 4 July 2012
Congratulations!

I'm in awe (not a good kind of awe) that this corruption goes on. You hear about it on the news, but this is strangely "close to home" - another PR applicant, if that makes sense? I'm sorry you had to deal with it.

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I understand it's the principle and corruption sucks big time. It's scary knowing that some corrupt official can play with your life.

You could've stuck to your guns and eventually if you raised enough stink you would likely get raised through as they have corruption police there and he has to do it discreetly enough that they don't find out. But for 200 000, or $10 USD it's not on top of the agenda for the corruption police to even bother monitoring that.

Once in Cambodia at the land border in Poipet to get across the official wanted 1000 Thai Bhat, or aprox $30
but the Visa is $20 USD....he wouldn't accept my $20...only 1000 bhat. I was so mad so I waited there.
Someone came and yelled at me saying he had a family and I am so rich and stupid and shouldn't mess around with Cambodia or I will be in danger.

It was pretty scary. I was about 1 minute away from finally deciding to give in, when he angrily took my passport and accepted my $20. The whole ordeal took 1 hour.

Luckily it only cost you $10....and luckily he didn't make you miss your plane.

And yes I agree HCMC is much more foreigner friendly!

Misplaced Brit

Star Member
Sep 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/10/2010
Wow, it really sucks that corruption is so blatant in some parts of the world, and with it being a PR applicant, it hits just a tad close to home.

However, you have your PR status, and you're home, with your wife by your side. Many congratulations to you! ;D