+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsorship Application for Parents rejected.

Ab!

Mar 21, 2024
Hi,

I'm a Canadian citizen with a stable job and a tax history spanning over eight years. In 2020, I applied to sponsor my parents for immigration from 2020 applications, but unfortunately, the application was rejected due to not meeting the minimum necessary income (MNI) requirement for 2019 by a small difference of nearly 1K. This was because I had changed jobs and received Employment Insurance (EI), which was not considered in the assessment.

Currently, the application for Permanent Residence for my parents has been forwarded to the Vancouver visa office.

Please help me understand my options!

Question :
Should I consider hiring a lawyer to explore the possibility of reassessment, or
would it be more prudent to let the PR application for my parents proceed and navigate through the process as it unfolds?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
...unfortunately, the application was rejected due to not meeting the minimum necessary income (MNI) requirement for 2019 by a small difference of nearly 1K. This was because I had changed jobs and received Employment Insurance (EI), which was not considered in the assessment.

Currently, the application for Permanent Residence for my parents has been forwarded to the Vancouver visa office.
If you think the sponsorship application was rejected in error, you should at minimum contact to ask for this to be reconsidered and re-evaluated.

Don't know whether a lawyer can help withthis part of it.

You should consider that IRCC sending on the PR application once sponsorship has been rejected has a very low chance of approval. Possibly just a formality.

But I don't know much about this type of app, so pls check with others.

Reactions: Kaibigan

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Having read @armoured's post, I deleted mine that preceded it. He understood the facts. I did not. I read your post too quickly and concluded that you had a 2020 application that was rejected in its entirety. However, what happened is that you were rejected as sponsor. Nonetheless, the PR application is still in process. I am sure @armoured is right, and you face a slim chance of approval.

You did not say when sponsorship was rejected, but if it was back in 2020, I would think the long delay in applying for reconsideration would not help.

Ab!

Mar 21, 2024
If you think the sponsorship application was rejected in error, you should at minimum contact to ask for this to be reconsidered and re-evaluated.

Don't know whether a lawyer can help withthis part of it.

You should consider that IRCC sending on the PR application once sponsorship has been rejected has a very low chance of approval. Possibly just a formality.

But I don't know much about this type of app, so pls check with others.
Thank you for your reply,

The letter for rejection was received the day before. The application was filed in 2022.

The assessment is correct as the assistance received from government is not counted towards income for MNI criteria.
The assessment is done very strictly as I meet the criteria for all periods following the year 2019.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

The letter for rejection was received the day before. The application was filed in 2022.

The assessment is correct as the assistance received from government is not counted towards income for MNI criteria.
The assessment is done very strictly as I meet the criteria for all periods following the year 2019.
It's reallly going to be up to you what you do. You don't meet the program requirements to sponsor. So the refusal is correct. There's been no error on the part of IRCC.

Once your parents' application is refused, you can appeal that decision but your chances of success will be on the very low side since there was no error on the part of IRCC / you don't meet the program requirements. If you do want to try to appeal, then I would strongly recommend you use an immigration lawyer.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

You had written 'I had changed jobs and received Employment Insurance (EI), which was not considered in the assessment.' I thought by this you were stating that they should have included EI in considering whether you met the assessments. I'm not perfectly aware of the rules so won't get involved in disputing that, you seemed to be making a specific statement. (Hence my 'if you think it was in error...' formulation.)

Overall I agree with the points above - if you were refused sponsorship correctly, you can let it proceed. There may be no harm in requesting that they reconsider but it's a specific test, and if it's one you did not meet, you should not expect it will be successful. And you can also note if your income was above in subsequent periods, etc. No harm in trying but that doesn't mean it'll work - and note, you should have known that when submitting the app.

Again though: it's a selective program. They're under no obligation to make exceptions for not meeting the criteria, even if it's just a bit off.