+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

sponsoring sister

dzoni

Dec 18, 2009
Hi Guys !

Lovely forum i might say.

So here is my question: I want to sponsor my 17 years old sister ,question is do i have to sponsor my parents too or i can sponsor only her.
Other question is while in the process can she come in Canada to study ?
Thank you

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
dzoni said:
Hi Guys !

Lovely forum i might say.

So here is my question: I want to sponsor my 17 years old sister ,question is do i have to sponsor my parents too or i can sponsor only her.
Other question is while in the process can she come in Canada to study ?
Thank you
This is what the CIC homepage says:
You can sponsor:

• parents
  • grandparents
  • brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 18 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship
  • another relative of any age or relationship but only under specific conditions (see Note below)
  • accompanying relatives of the above (for example, spouse, partner and dependent children)

Note: you can sponsor one relative regardless of age or relationship only if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident or registered as an Indian under the Indian Act.
So, you cannot sponsor your sister since she is not orphaned. However, if you sponsor your parents they can then sponsor your sister.

Regarding studying she could study as long as she gets a student visa. She'd still have to pay full, outland tuition though.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have enough income, you can sponsor your parents and sister as a package deal but it takes a long time, 3-4 years minimum. If you did that, of course your parents would not have to move. They can all activate their PR's, your parents lose theirs eventually for not living in Canada but your sister would keep hers.

Like Swede says, your sister could apply for a student visa and later find ways of applying for PR herself, for example through Canadian experience class but international fees are not the lowest in Canada.

if you live in AB, SK or MB, you could look into family stream PNP. You and your sister would have to meet certain requirements for funds, education etc. and she would have to be at least 18 but it depends on the province. If you live in one of those provinces and your parents do not want to move, you could look into how you and your sister can work on meeting the requirements for PNP sponsorship. It would most likely be faster than sponsoring your sister and parents together.

dzoni

Dec 18, 2009
Thanks Leon

I live in BC , but as you said there is chance to sponsor them together ,do you know how much income do i need to have?
Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dzoni said:
Thanks Leon

I live in BC , but as you said there is chance to sponsor them together ,do you know how much income do i need to have?
Thanks
Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5196E10.asp and scroll down to table 4 named LICO. Count yourself and your spouse and kids if you have any and then add your parents and sister. That's the number of people in the "size of family unit". Then you see the amount of money you need to make per year. If you have a spouse and your spouse co-signs, you can count your spouses income as well.

It will take approximately 32 months to approve you as a sponsor, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/process-in.asp#sponsorship and then the application will go to the visa office responsible for their country and you can see the processing times for that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/08-fc-parents.asp

During the processing time of the next 3 or 4 years or longer, your sister can not get married or go into a common law relationship because then she can not be considered a dependent child anymore but her age at the time of application is locked in so she can not age out of it.