+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my Spouse

Balsharan

Feb 22, 2024
Hello,

We are planning to get married in India in some months. After that I am planning to sponsor my spouse for Canadian PR. We both stay in Canada together and she is a student currently. Her parents do not support our marriage but my parents are ready for the marriage. We will have our marriage with all traditions but the girl's family wont be there. Will this cause any issue in the application?

Please help on this. Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

We are planning to get married in India in some months. After that I am planning to sponsor my spouse for Canadian PR. We both stay in Canada together and she is a student currently. Her parents do not support our marriage but my parents are ready for the marriage. We will have our marriage with all traditions but the girl's family wont be there. Will this cause any issue in the application?

Please help on this. Thanks!
shouldn't be an issue if you document carefully. Disclose that the parents don't approve and why by writing a letter of explanation. Short and factual. If other relatives from her side of family/friends are there (photos), it will support that this is a public, real marriage and just a limited group that dont' approve. It seems this is (obviously) not an arrnaged marriage, make sure to emphasize that and development of the relationship.

You are not the first to get married whose parents approve. IRCC has seen this before.

(On personal side: they'll get over it. Probably when there are kids.)

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shouldn't be an issue if you document carefully. Disclose that the parents don't approve and why by writing a letter of explanation. Short and factual. If other relatives from her side of family/friends are there (photos), it will support that this is a public, real marriage and just a limited group that dont' approve. It seems this is (obviously) not an arrnaged marriage, make sure to emphasize that and development of the relationship.

You are not the first to get married whose parents approve. IRCC has seen this before.

(On personal side: they'll get over it. Probably when there are kids.)
Believe you meant to type do not approve. ;)