+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring my new husband

Marcelle87

Jun 9, 2010
Hi,
I'm a canadian permanent resident originally from Peru. I came to Canada as a student in 2004, married a Canadian in 2005. Our Marriage did not work and we separated in December 2007, oficially divorce by May 2009.
I met my argentinian Boyfriend when I was separated and started dating him in May 2009. We've been together for a year an we are planning to get married in September 2010.
I'm planing to be his sponsor under the familiy class (within Canada). I'm wondering since I've only been oficially divorced for a year, would be this a red flag for immigration and would this affect immigration process at all? Please note he does not have legal status in Canada.
Thanks for your comments.
Marcelle

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
The visa officer may be suspicious that your first marriage was a marriage of convenience, that you married a Canadian just so you could stay in Canada. Since that marriage lasted for 2 years, it should be OK, but they probably will look into it.
Make sure your 'relationship timelines' don't overlap. Starting to date after your divorce is fine; having started to date before you claim to have separated from your first husband will be a red flag.
If you have a lot of evidence that your relationship with your new boyfriend is genuine, he'll most likely be approved.