+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Girlfriend to Canada Questions

Kroum82

Dec 14, 2006
I would like to begin by explaining my situation.
I'm a Canadain citizen who has currently been outside of the country for 2 months. In Canada I live with my father and I'am supported by him financially. This means that I will not be employed when I return to Canada. At least not right away. While on vacation in Bulgaria this past summer, which is my country of birth, I began dating my present girlfriend. Hence the reason for my return to Bulgaria a month and a half later. She is an accountant with a masters degree, and 3 years of work experience. Since then we have leased an appartament together for the time being. Now what I need to know is which the best way to bring her over to Canada with me so we can continue our life together, since I need to continue my schooling in Canada. My options as far as I know are the following:
1)Remain in Bulgaria for over a year so we can be considered common law? ( the lengthy wait would be a problem for me since I would like to continue my studies and am well behind as it is)
2)Get Married to her here, return to Canada, save up money and sponsor her?
3)Have my father invite her over as a tourist, since he is the only one in my family who is financially capable of doing so, then >extend her stay by sponsoring her or have her apply as an immigrant? ( is this legal?)
4)Conjugal partner ( I can't seem to understand what this type of relationship is after having read the cic website, but would this apply to us?)
5)Have her attempt to immigrate here as a skilled worker? (I understand that this would take up to 2 years which again is time we dont want to waste)

I appologize for the lenghy post, but I would greatly appericiate it if someone read it over and explained to me which would be the most viable alternative since we do not want a long distance relation ship. Or to atleast outline what can and cannot be done in order for us to be living together behind the borders of a single nation.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kroum82 said:
I would like to begin by explaining my situation.
I'm a Canadain citizen who has currently been outside of the country for 2 months. In Canada I live with my father and I'am supported by him financially. This means that I will not be employed when I return to Canada. At least not right away. While on vacation in Bulgaria this past summer, which is my country of birth, I began dating my present girlfriend. Hence the reason for my return to Bulgaria a month and a half later. She is an accountant with a masters degree, and 3 years of work experience. Since then we have leased an appartament together for the time being. Now what I need to know is which the best way to bring her over to Canada with me so we can continue our life together, since I need to continue my schooling in Canada. My options as far as I know are the following:
1)Remain in Bulgaria for over a year so we can be considered common law? ( the lengthy wait would be a problem for me since I would like to continue my studies and am well behind as it is)
2)Get Married to her here, return to Canada, save up money and sponsor her?
3)Have my father invite her over as a tourist, since he is the only one in my family who is financially capable of doing so, then >extend her stay by sponsoring her or have her apply as an immigrant? ( is this legal?)
4)Conjugal partner ( I can't seem to understand what this type of relationship is after having read the cic website, but would this apply to us?)
5)Have her attempt to immigrate here as a skilled worker? (I understand that this would take up to 2 years which again is time we dont want to waste)

I appologize for the lenghy post, but I would greatly appericiate it if someone read it over and explained to me which would be the most viable alternative since we do not want a long distance relation ship. Or to atleast outline what can and cannot be done in order for us to be living together behind the borders of a single nation.
Marriage, return home then sponsor. You aren't required to have an income to sponsor as a spouse, you cannot be on social assistance for other than disability. It is very unlikely that she woud get a TRV to travel to Canada as a visitor. As you have no problems in going to Bulgaria and there are no impediments to marriage, Conjugal would not fly.

PMM

stealth

Star Member
Sep 3, 2008
I know this is an old thread.

But I am in the same boat as the original poster.

I went to visit my parents home land. Met someone back their, and got into a serious relationship. Now I have no problems financially sponsoring her, the only problem is, we are not married. I cannot live back their because I have a job and house over here.

Does me holding a job here, warrant me applying as a conjugal relationship. From what I read I cannot do this...

Is marrying her my only option?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
stealth said:
I know this is an old thread.

But I am in the same boat as the original poster.

I went to visit my parents home land. Met someone back their, and got into a serious relationship. Now I have no problems financially sponsoring her, the only problem is, we are not married. I cannot live back their because I have a job and house over here.

Does me holding a job here, warrant me applying as a conjugal relationship. From what I read I cannot do this...

Is marrying her my only option?
Basically, the conjugal partner category works like this: a couple qualifies as common-law partners when they can demonstrate that they have lived together, in a marriage-like relationship, for at least a continuous year. Conjugal partner qualification is about qualifying as common-law partners without having lived together for at least a year because of fear of persecution due to the relationship, or an immigration barrier that prevents the couple from living together in either country for long enough to establish a common-law relationship. There must also be an impediment to marriage, in other words, a couple can't just decide they'd rather not marry - when they could legally do that - in favour of being common-law partners when they can't meet that definition . . . and then expect to qualify as conjugal partners instead. The conjugal partner class is there to make exceptions, when warranted, to the common-law qualification - in order not to discriminate against genuine couples who cannot "legally" find a way to be together. So, no, I'd say you wouldn't qualify as conjugal partners - simply choosing not to marry is not the required "impediment" to marriage. See Section 5.45 - 5.49 of the OP2 Processing Manual