+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring Girlfriend from Philippines

ediaz121006

Jan 18, 2009
Greetings everyone!

I don't know if this has been posted already but I will appreciate a feedback.

I am permanent resident residing in Winnipeg and have been here for almost 1 year and 6 mos now. I am separating with my wife through legal separation and we are currently in a process of signing the agreement. I want to know my options in sponsoring my girlfriend other than getting married. Do I really need to divorce my ex-wife for me to be able to get my girlfriend here? I know for a fact that divorce can get very expensive. My girlfriend and I have been dating for almost 2 years now. I was with her in the first year but I have to take an opportunity here in Canada so we parted ways for now. I am now looking for a way to be with her again. I actually have to go home twice this year just to be her again.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

ediaz121006

Jan 18, 2009
Hi, thank you for the reply. I was thinking of conjugal relationship. Since we cannot marry for the time being. I can prove the relationship is there. I'm just not sure if immigration office will honor it. Also, I want to know my options if I can't get her here through that process.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
Sorry to say, but I don't think it will fly. The only reason you can't marry this woman is because you are still legally married, right? Unless I have missunderstood something in your posting, CIC will not accept this as a valid reason. Filing a FW application claiming conjugla relationship is, as far as I understand, very difficult.

You need to finalize your divorce, get the supporting documents. Then marry your girlfriend and sponsor your new wife.

ediaz121006

Jan 18, 2009
Yes, that is correct. I was just thinking of better way of resolving it without going to whole divorce process. So legal separation will not help as well I guess? Unfortunately, there is no divorce in the Philippines but nonetheless I got an attorney to help me with the divorce proceedings here.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
ediaz121006 said:
Yes, that is correct. I was just thinking of better way of resolving it without going to whole divorce process. So legal separation will not help as well I guess? Unfortunately, there is no divorce in the Philippines but nonetheless I got an attorney to help me with the divorce proceedings here.
You just divorce your wife in Canada,Philippines does not recognize it,But many other countries recognize Canadian Divorces,You can do a divorce for less then 1000$ using the Do it yourself divorce kits,Marry your Girl Friend in Hong Kong,A short flight from the Philippines.Then you are legally married to your girlfriend and are legally divorced in the eyes of Canada,The Philippines can go stuff itself.

ediaz121006

Jan 18, 2009
That's not bad at all BCguy... I will do as advise ;-) I also found that Do It Yourself website but I hesitated because I lack the information back then and I am not sure if the website is even credible. Can you suggest website that I can use?

Thanks and have a good day!

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Most bookstores stock the kit,Am currently assisting a filipino to get divorced and it cost 40$ for the kit,400$ in court cost and 200$ in courier cost to the Philippines and back

Maple_Leaf

Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, you can marry your girlfriend outside the Philippines then sponsor her afterwards. Just a word of caution, after doing so make sure you will obtain a Canadian citizenship by hook or by crook before setting your foot on the Philippine soil otherwise they will hang you by your balls for Bigamy. As BCguy said, the Philippine law doesn't recognize divorce, and until you are naturalized Canadian Citizen, you are still a filipino subject to the Philippine Laws wherever you may be located. And we are only talking about human laws here.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Maple Leaf is correct,While Canada and most of the World recognize Divorce,the Philippines doesnt and they can arrest you and jail you for bigamy in the Philippines to extort money from you,I know of an actual case where a guy married for 6 years to his second wife was arrested on Holiday in the Philippines,His first ex -wife only dropped the case after getting paid 25,000$.

ediaz121006

Jan 18, 2009
Thanks guys... I still want to keep my balls intact for sure ;-p I'm actually still trying to assess the situation on what needs to be done and what should be done first. It's really hard to take action when a child is involved. Have anyone tried the "Do it yourself online divorce kits"? I would appreciate a recommendation on which site to go to. I want to keep this as one of my options. Thanks again.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
Each divorce is different fro province to province,obtain the divorce kit in the province you live in,self counsel is charging 35$

dith

Jun 9, 2008
hello just new in this thread, just wanna know what if the case is the other way around? wherein the married one is the one in the philippines? and the other one whose in canada is single? is this route is also applicable to this case?

Reactions: Rodtin

Rodtin

Jul 9, 2020
hello just new in this thread, just wanna know what if the case is the other way around? wherein the married one is the one in the philippines? and the other one whose in canada is single? is this route is also applicable to this case?
Hi any update regarding this? We have same situation;) tnx