+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsoring a pregnant wife.

YPLO

Jun 17, 2010
hell there- looking for some feedback from people who have been in this situation.

my fiance (we'll be officially married in 2 months) is 6 weeks pregnant. she's from Venezuela. i want to sponsor her to Canada asap to avoid our baby being born over there.

i know that she has to undergo a medical exam by a designated doctor. to my understanding (please correct me if i'm wrong), the appointed doctors will NOT proceed with the x-ray part of the exam if she's pregnant.

considering she is only 6 weeks pregnant, can she go and get the medical exam now without any effects to our baby?

i read some conflicting info...on one hand, the sponsored person's immigration office dictates when the the medical exam is taken.

on the other hand, i read that the sponsored person can go anytime for the medical exam.

PLEASE...anyone with some information on this process share as much as you can. thanks in advance.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure whether your wife can undergo medical examination during her prenancy. Would you consider her to apply visitor visa to Canada instead? After arriving, you can proceed the sponsorship and immigration process in Canada just like other posters in this forum.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry. At a glance of the processing times for sponsoring spouse in Caracas, 80% of the cases are finalised in 10 months! I guess the chances that your wife giving birth in Canada in this case is pretty low.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
She can have the medical exam, but should tell the doctor she is pregnant. The doctor will note this on the form - or you and add a note - and she will not have to have the x-ray. CIC will accept the medical without the x-ray if the woman is pregnant.

CaraPK

Apr 18, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-05-10
Doc's Request.
19-08-2010
AOR Received.
12-08-2010
File Transfer...
17-06-10
Med's Done....
10-05-10
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
21-10-10
VISA ISSUED...
15-10-10
LANDED..........
28-11-10
I also completed the PR application while pregnant, but I did it during my third trimester. When I called the DMP to set up the medical appointment, I was told that if my primary care doctor gave me permission for the X-ray, we would do the X-ray and use lead shields to protect the baby. (This is what ended up happening).

But I was also told that if my doctor said it was not okay for me to do the X-ray, then the DMP would perform the rest of the medical evaluation, and I would have to complete the X-ray portion after the baby was born.

I would recommend speaking to both the primary care doctor and the DMP and find out what your options are. You can probably have her complete most of the medical exam, and then go back for the X-ray later in her pregnancy, when there is no risk to the baby.

YPLO

Jun 17, 2010
I know they will accept the documents, however, I'm pretty sure they won't complete the sponsorship process without a complete medical exam. Anybody have luck or experience in this situation?

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
YPLO said:
I know they will accept the documents, however, I'm pretty sure they won't complete the sponsorship process without a complete medical exam. Anybody have luck or experience in this situation?
well the sponsorship part has nothing to do with her, its you the sponsor. It currently takes around 45 days. you can and should go ahead and start the process as soon as you are married. then the application is sent to her home country where it is processed. They can do a lot, if not all of the rest of the application while she is pregnant and just wait until she can take the xray after she gives birth to finish up the application.

None of that, however, will get her into Canada in time to give birth, it will just get her here faster than waiting to file until after she gives birth.

There might be a way to get her here on a regular visitor's visa (not a temporary resident permit) but I don't know enough about venezuela/canada visas to be certain.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canadianwoman said:
She can have the medical exam, but should tell the doctor she is pregnant. The doctor will note this on the form - or you and add a note - and she will not have to have the x-ray. CIC will accept the medical without the x-ray if the woman is pregnant.
Nice Try, but no cigar. No x-ray, medical is not passed, you have to have the x-ray.

suenim

Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Med's Done....
April 2010
Interview........
NONE
LANDED..........
April 2011
Yeah. The x-ray has to be done. So even if she does the other part of the medical without the x-ray, CIC will not go forward until the medical is complete. I was pregnant when I was about to start my application but I put the whole application off until after I gave birth.

YPLO

Jun 17, 2010
Is my fiance able to get the medical exam done on her own time? Or does she have to wait for her immigration office to request her to go?

plumosa

May 27, 2010
Quebec
Category........
Visa Office......
buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04/03/2010
AOR Received.
17/06/2010
File Transfer...
10/05/2010
Med's Done....
30/11/2009
Interview........
waived-letter dated 27/07/2010
Passport Req..
20/09/2010
VISA ISSUED...
28/09/2010
LANDED..........
28/09/2010
she can do it as soon as she can make an appointment. she'll have to have cash (usually) and 4-5 passport sized photos (can't remember how many exactly---its all in the directions) Its only recommended to wait to do the medical if you're filing inland.

I

iarblue

You can wait till they ask for the medical to be done as you can not do the xray as of now.When they request the medical hopefully your wife has given birth and can do the xray.Like PMM said it will not be finalized without the xray so there is no point in doing two medical appointments and get charged twice.And there is a very good chance she will not have the baby in Canada,you will have to add the little one to her app for sponsorship too.
She is 6 weeks preg and means 7.5 left the process is around 10 mths so chances are she is going to have the baby before the app is finished.

YPLO

Jun 17, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback. I sincerely appreciate everyones support. Looks like we'll have to wait after our baby is born. I really wanted the baby to born on Canadian soil. :(

Reality has settled in.