+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponsored spouse sharing with living expenses

zgkrn

May 21, 2024
My mother-in-law sponsored her husband and 2 children to come to Canada. She is currently in a tight financial situation. Though her husband and children are already working, is it legal for her to ask her husband to share with their living expenses (rent and groceries)?

What if they plan to rent a different apartment without her husband, is she still responsible to provide for him?

Your insights will be really helpful

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
My mother-in-law sponsored her husband and 2 children to come to Canada. She is currently in a tight financial situation. Though her husband and children are already working, is it legal for her to ask her husband to share with their living expenses (rent and groceries)?

What if they plan to rent a different apartment without her husband, is she still responsible to provide for him?

Your insights will be really helpful
Yes she can ask them to contribute

The more important question is WHY, if they are working , they haven’t stepped up to the plate and offered to contribute?

Christ , when I was 17, still living at home , working , I was EXPECTED to contribute, it was part of learning to adult