+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sponser live in caregiver in Canada

hambone9999

Jun 13, 2022
My girlfriend is in the live in caregiver program and is currently living with a family who sponsored her on a work permit. She has 9 months to go before she can apply for PR. However we met and now I want to marry her but we do not live together. Should she stay in the caregiver program and wait the 9 months or should I marry her? I read though we have to be living together for 1 year? I guess maybe she could leave her live-in arrangement and the move in with me and then I can sponsor her (and can she continue working?).

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My girlfriend is in the live in caregiver program and is currently living with a family who sponsored her on a work permit. She has 9 months to go before she can apply for PR. However we met and now I want to marry her but we do not live together. Should she stay in the caregiver program and wait the 9 months or should I marry her? I read though we have to be living together for 1 year? I guess maybe she could leave her live-in arrangement and the move in with me and then I can sponsor her (and can she continue working?).
Actually if you and her get married, you can sponsor her via "outland" (take a look at the family sponsorship section of the forum).
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/family-class-sponsorship.5/

She cannot apply for OWP but I think she likely still have a valid work permit from the caregiver program and doesn't really need the OWP.
You cannot apply as "inland" since inland application requires the sponsor and the applicant to live together in Canada. And your to-be-wife cannot do that while working as a live in caregiver. There is no living together for 1 year requirement but you will need to provide proof of your relationship.

Once the sponsorship application is approved, she will get PR.