+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spent night in drunk tank, impact on citizenship application

February2021

Feb 28, 2021
Spent night in drunk tank. Was issued a ticket with a small fine which I paid.

I don't think this is something that needs to be mentioned on the citizenship application. Is that correct?

HarmanSingh1313

Oct 10, 2020
Spent night in drunk tank. Was issued a ticket with a small fine which I paid.

I don't think this is something that needs to be mentioned on the citizenship application. Is that correct?
What kind of the ticket you got? What kind of offence was it? Does it say on the ticket?

2be_canadian

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
Small fee, just ticket no jail ,no court ...seems like parking ticket ,traffic.... that level so I don't think it's big deal.
Cheers :)

BOYX

May 5, 2017
Toronto, ON
"Being intoxicated in a public place".

It's a very minor municipal offense for which as I mentioned before, I paid a small fine.
Public intoxication is a small fine and drunk tank. Shouldn't be an issue as it's not even a misdemeanour (rather it is an infraction). Exactly as others pointed out: it is the equivalence of a parking ticket.

If you caused a disturbance, then it's another issue but that does not seem to be the case here.

Here is a source.

I would not worry if I were you. You can check the citizenship application, section 16 & confirm that you are still eligible to apply.

If you are still anxious, then I suggest contacting an immigration lawyer; they would have the most definitive answer.

Good luck!

February2021

Feb 28, 2021
Public intoxication is a small fine and drunk tank. Shouldn't be an issue as it's not even a misdemeanour (rather it is an infraction). Exactly as others pointed out: it is the equivalence of a parking ticket.

If you caused a disturbance, then it's another issue but that does not seem to be the case here.

Here is a source.

I would not worry if I were you. You can check the citizenship application, section 16 & confirm that you are still eligible to apply.

If you are still anxious, then I suggest contacting an immigration lawyer; they would have the most definitive answer.

Good luck!
Hey thanks! I checked the link and also section 16 and feel reassured now.