+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Specifics to Car Title and Lien Release

Shadowblight

Aug 16, 2018
Hi folks,

Had a situation and I'm puzzled how to resolve it.

Basically, I am a US Citizen from North Carolina who moved up here in Ontario in Sept 2018 under an IEC work permit for 1 year initially. The concept was basically that my long-term relationship with my boyfriend (Canadian citizen) would be my end goal... that is to say, I used the IEC qualification as a means to enter the country, and live with him for a time while seeking other means to stay there eventually. Panned out that I didn't get in on IEC for a second year due to it being full so fast, and nothing provincial program-wise worked out, so we just ended up getting a courthouse marriage to apply via Family Sponsorship instead. Kept my visitors record and everything in check.

Maybe all that info isn't necessary, but just in case it is... it's there!

So pretty much, I had taken my US Vehicle with me since it's my only item worth any real property value, and how I get around. I brought it in using the vehicle import form 1, and the car is labeled on my casual goods accounting document. The timing on my initial landing was incredible; I was moving when my insurance plan was panning out at the end of the month in NC, and my lienholder in the states gave me the permission letter to take the vehicle with me to Canada, and the sticker on my NC plates were also due to expire at the end of October. I obtained car insurance up here in Ontario before landing, starting for the day I landed. No longer having any residence in NC, and additionally no insurance (which is required to renew the sticker/plate there, which I understand is basically the same process here), I needed to get the Ontario plates and sticker so my vehicle could remain compliant. Got the inspection done. When I went to the Service Ontario from there, they said they needed to get a fax from my lienholder for something, and after a couple days I was then able to get my plates and sticker... and I thought cool, all kosher.

So fast forward to now, I just finished paying off my car (yay!). My lienholder sent me the title document, but it's for NC. Now as far as I know I can't transfer the title to me in NC (again, residency and also insurance for a location I don't live doesn't happen), and when I called Service Ontario, they ended up saying my name is who has the VIN? I'm confused now as to what I should be doing, but I sure as heck don't want there to be any issues with the title, especially after I worked so hard to pay it off, lol. Any thoughts?