+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SP Application - Times

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
Hello all,

I am considering a Study Permit Application for September 2020 and I am starting the process now. I am stuck with 2 concerns at the moment.

How early can I apply for it? (Since the Pandemic will result in increased processing times in future). I checked online and IRCC advised to apply at least 3-6 months before, which seems unrealistic since I will be applying through the latest SDS program.

I am hoping that the borders will be open until August and hopefully Students/workers can travel with ease. How early can I land in Canada if my school starts for September 9, 2020?

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

I am considering a Study Permit Application for September 2020 and I am starting the process now. I am stuck with 2 concerns at the moment.

How early can I apply for it? (Since the Pandemic will result in increased processing times in future). I checked online and IRCC advised to apply at least 3-6 months before, which seems unrealistic since I will be applying through the latest SDS program.

I am hoping that the borders will be open until August and hopefully Students/workers can travel with ease. How early can I land in Canada if my school starts for September 9, 2020?

Thank you
You can apply now.

You can come to Canada once you have a study visa approved - however generally it's not recommended that you travel more then 5-6 before classes. Keep in mind that you cannot work in Canada until your classes officially start. If you come to Canada too early, it's possible you may have problem at the border (i.e. CBSA may think you're coming early to work illegally). Best option is to come 3-4 weeks before the start of classes.

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
You can apply now.

You can come to Canada once you have a study visa approved - however generally it's not recommended that you travel more then 5-6 before classes. Keep in mind that you cannot work in Canada until your classes officially start. If you come to Canada too early, it's possible you may have problem at the border (i.e. CBSA may think you're coming early to work illegally). Best option is to come 3-4 weeks before the start of classes.
Thank you for the information. In terms of ties, by the time I apply it will be about 8-10 months since I came back to my country. However, how do officers view documents which are printed for the date way before the date of application. For instance, my payment receipt of college is based of February and the date is printed on the form. Does that not demonstrate that I didn't grew the intention to study in Canada recently and had been planning for this much ahead of time?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for the information. In terms of ties, by the time I apply it will be about 8-10 months since I came back to my country. However, how do officers view documents which are printed for the date way before the date of application. For instance, my payment receipt of college is based of February and the date is printed on the form. Does that not demonstrate that I didn't grew the intention to study in Canada recently and had been planning for this much ahead of time?
I don't think they will care about the payment date on the receipt.

In terms of ties to your home country, being in your country for 8-10 months isn't a tie. To show ties, you will want to provide evidence of things like employment, property ownership, assets in your home country, immediate family members (spouse, children) who will not be traveling with you to Canada, etc.

Muj

Star Member
Jun 25, 2018
I don't think they will care about the payment date on the receipt.

In terms of ties to your home country, being in your country for 8-10 months isn't a tie. To show ties, you will want to provide evidence of things like employment, property ownership, assets in your home country, immediate family members (spouse, children) who will not be traveling with you to Canada, etc.
Yes when I mentioned the time frame, I meant to say I have been employed from time. My family lives here and I have property in my name.