+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SOWP

menzhel

Mar 10, 2019
Hello
I will be getting married in december and would be going on to do a Masters degree in canada in January 2021. I would like my spouse to join me. When can i apply for the SOWP and what documents should i provide to avoid refusal

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello
I will be getting married in december and would be going on to do a Masters degree in canada in January 2021. I would like my spouse to join me. When can i apply for the SOWP and what documents should i provide to avoid refusal
Your spouse can only apply for SOWP after you are married and have your wedding certificate. Is your spouse visa exempt or do they have TRV?

menzhel

Mar 10, 2019
Thanks a lot for replying. No we are not visa exempt. We both come from outside Canada. Does he need to apply fpr another visa to enter canada once he has his Open work permit? or the open work permit is a visa he can use to enter canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for replying. No we are not visa exempt. We both come from outside Canada. Does he need to apply fpr another visa to enter canada once he has his Open work permit? or the open work permit is a visa he can use to enter canada
There are lots of ifs in your situation since I assume you don’t have a study permit yet. Your future spouse should try and get a TRV before marriage so they can accompany you to Canada. Sucess in getting an SOWP may also be based on proof of your relationship. Are you openly dating without chaperones, living together, travelling together, have lots of pictures together, etc.?