+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some questions on visa switching

sdi

Jan 25, 2010
Hi folks, I've got some simple questions the IEC didn't want to answer, so I hope to find some help here. This is what I wrote them:

Hello,

in may this year my girfriend and I will travel to Canada. Both of us are in posession of a working holiday visa, but we are planning to enter Canada with the standard tourist visa and travel around for about two months to get to know the country. After these two months we want to "flagpole" at the US border and make use of our working holiday visa and start looking for a job and home (and thus not loosing two months of our work permit).

We meet all the requirements for these two types of visa - we got a return ticket for the tourist visa, and we have enough funds for our working holiday visa.

Is there anything we need to consider when following our plan?
Is it enough to tell the immigration officer on arrival that we are touring through the country or do we have to know where we will stay the first nights? Do we have to tell him about our working holiday visa? It's part of our plan to buy a car and explore the area where we are thinking about settling down and finding work. After we found the right spot we want to switch to our working holiday visa.
We have got two way tickets (the return flight is in the end of september), but we do not want to make use of it (it was just cheaper to book a round-trip than a one way ticket). Could there be any problems when we do not make use of the flight back, or do we have to report it anywhere?

Sorry for some of those rather annoying questions, but we are just concerned everything runs smoothly and without bureacratic hurdles we did not see earlier ;-)
Thanks for your effort,
Regards

sdi