+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Some advice please

Brutal

Nov 1, 2020
My wife is a Canadian citizen and she has been living outside Canada for four years with her two children she still has her personal house in Canada and her Canadian bank account she still receive her Canada child benefit and was told by a friend that she is still a resident of Canada for tax purposes now we are ready to apply for my permanent residence for Canada so we can all return to Canada as a family. Was my wife supposed to still be collecting ccb? If not then what do we do before filling for my pr?

Mr_Chang

Star Member
Dec 14, 2018
My wife is a Canadian citizen and she has been living outside Canada for four years with her two children she still has her personal house in Canada and her Canadian bank account she still receive her Canada child benefit and was told by a friend that she is still a resident of Canada for tax purposes now we are ready to apply for my permanent residence for Canada so we can all return to Canada as a family. Was my wife supposed to still be collecting ccb? If not then what do we do before filling for my pr?
Well, "told by a friend that she's a resident of Canada for tax purposes" does not instill a lot of confidence. Check with a qualified accountant or tax consultant if she was or was not a resident for tax purposes.

One of the requirements that needs to be satisfied to apply for CCB is "be a resident of Canada for tax purposes" Unfortunately "My friend told me I was a resident" is legally irrelavant

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your wife should call CRA asap and should have figured out if the children qualified for CCB a long time ago. CRA can also determine if she is a resident for tax purposes. Would add that she may be receiving other rebates like GST that she may not be entitled to. Best to clear this up as soon as possible to avoid more penalties if she is found to not be entitled to CCB.

Brutal

Nov 1, 2020
Your wife should call CRA asap and should have figured out if the children qualified for CCB a long time ago. CRA can also determine if she is a resident for tax purposes. Would add that she may be receiving other rebates like GST that she may not be entitled to. Best to clear this up as soon as possible to avoid more penalties if she is found to not be entitled to CCB.
I agree