Med's Request
03-10-2019
Med's Done....
29-10-2019
Passport Req..
25-11-2019
LANDED..........
26-12-2019
Hey friends, I know threads about soft landing experiences are greatly appreciated by members on here so I'll let y'all know about mine.

I'm a U.S. citizen being sponsored by my Canadian citizen spouse for some background on my case. I was coming in from Atlanta (where I'm from) to YYZ on Delta so I used those automated kiosks at terminal 3. I did my soft landing on December 26th. I did a soft landing because I have some student teaching requirements that I have to wrap up in Georgia. This current visit is for 2 weeks to spend some time with hubby as it is our one year anniversary. I plan on making the big move in late March/early April of this year (2020), so like in 3 months.

If you arrive at Terminal 3, you'll be directed to the automated kiosks. On the kiosk, I selected that my purpose of visit was to immigrate. Then, after I printed out my receipt, I let the first officer I came across know that I was establishing my permanent residency. He didn't ask how long as I was staying because as a PR, there isn't a time limit for you. It's your right to stay in Canada indefinitely and leave freely granted you'll meet the minimum residency requirements (I'm no legal professional but this is just my knowledge on PR obligations). He pointed me to the room where they process all new immigrants and students. The security guy in line asked if I was a student (because even though I'm 24, I look 18) and I said no, becoming a permanent resident :) :) :) lol he was definitely not as excited as I was.

In this second room, I waited in line for maybe 15 minutes, there were a few people in front of me but it went pretty quickly. I was called over by a woman who asked me how much money I was bringing in and then if I have any dependents, ever been convicted of a crime in Canada or if I've ever been ordered to be removed from Canada. I answered all No to those questions and she stamped my COPR. I am coming on a spousal sponsorship, so all I needed was my COPR and passport. I had a copy of my marriage certificate just in case but I'm pretty sure that that wasn't needed. I was sent to the Service Canada desk where they gave me a newcomer package. Since it was boxing day, I was unable to get a SIN number.

I picked up my baggage and let the guy sitting at the desk right after baggage claim know I had Goods to Follow. He pointed me down the hall to the customs office. Now, I've heard that if you're just doing a soft landing you do not technically have to present your GTF list, but I've also heard that you do have to present it because soft landing is not recognized by CBSA (or it might've been IRCC who doesn't recognize it) and if you're landing as a PR, than you must have it at your initial landing no matter what. I've seen horror stories on this forum about people who didn't present a goods to follow list at their soft landing and then were pressed as to why they didn't present it when they did their actual settling. Just in case, I had my GTF list ready to go. I still live at home with my parents so it wasn't too hard to compile my list bc it's literally just stuff in my room plus some furniture my parents are letting me have. My word of advice to those of you doing a soft landing, have your GTF list JUST IN CASE. I had a goods accompanying list as well but he said he didn't need to see that list. I put the same stuff on my goods accompanying (that I was bringing for this trip) on my goods to follow list as well because I heard that if you're flying in, they don't need your goods accompanying list, but again, I had it just in case. I had two copies of my GTF list and totaled the amount of all my goods for them at the bottom of my list. I did the total with my personal vehicle and the total without my personal vehicle. I was expecting it to be BUSY so I had everything as ready as possible. Everyone was pretty pleasant and now I feel better about having my GTF list taken care of so it won't be too much of a hassle when I drive my stuff up in the spring.

Regarding the SIN number, I just got it today at a Service Canada by my husband's place. It's a VERY quick process, the longest part is waiting for your name to be called. Make sure you have your COPR and passport when you get this done. Let me know if you have any questions!