+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Soft Landing" and moving belongings after

raptora

Oct 22, 2018
Hi all,

If I understand correctly, a "soft landing" is when you arrive after COPR but do not actually settle. In my case, I was hoping to soft land so I can start establishing bank accounts etc., then return to the US to finish up some personal matters as well as pack my belongings to move.

In this case, should I be concerned about having to pay duties on my belongings (driving a U-haul) when I cross the second time, or am I still able to do this even after landing as a PR? Would I need my PR card (which I believe is mailed to your Canadian address), or would my COPR be good enough?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

If I understand correctly, a "soft landing" is when you arrive after COPR but do not actually settle. In my case, I was hoping to soft land so I can start establishing bank accounts etc., then return to the US to finish up some personal matters as well as pack my belongings to move.

In this case, should I be concerned about having to pay duties on my belongings (driving a U-haul) when I cross the second time, or am I still able to do this even after landing as a PR? Would I need my PR card (which I believe is mailed to your Canadian address), or would my COPR be good enough?
Depending on how long you intend to spend in the US before moving to Canada permanently you need to be careful about how many accounts you open up. If not moving this year you don’t want to become a resident for tax purposes because you created too many ties.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Two ways to handle this.
1. Create a list of your belongings as 'goods to follow'. CBSA will accept that list during your soft landing and then you can import them at any time later.
2. The same list can be submitted whenever you actually make the move and claim 'settler' tariff at that time.

raptora

Oct 22, 2018
Two ways to handle this.
1. Create a list of your belongings as 'goods to follow'. CBSA will accept that list during your soft landing and then you can import them at any time later.
2. The same list can be submitted whenever you actually make the move and claim 'settler' tariff at that time.
I believe I read about this - is it a specific form that requires a lot of detail? For my wife's US immigration, we made a vague list (like "Box 1A - Pots, pans, silverware") and it was accepted...

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Whether as 'goods to follow' or 'accompanying goods', create a list on plain paper.
All electronics (TVs, computers etc.) must be listed separately with a serial number.
List all vehicles separately with VIN number. (Remember vehicle import-export process is complicated and requires more steps)
Jewelry should be photographed and evaluated.
Everything else can be categorized into broad categories like clothes, furniture etc.
Add a value estimate in CAD for each item.
Total the estimates at the bottom.

The CBSA officers will fill out the form.