+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIN Number Online app Rejected?

promisedprodigy

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
So I got a letter saying that the primary identification for my status in Canada that I provided wasn't acceptable..when all I did was upload my Study Permit. The former also states that I can accept employment provided the terms in some R18F form are met (which they are, I'm a full time student). I'm confused as to why this happened?

I did a bit of digging and found another post on this forum where someone was dealing with the exact same situation, but there was no solution provided. What should I do??

RamSatt

Mar 8, 2021
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
STUDY
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
09-12-2020
Med's Done....
15-11-2020
Passport Req..
17-03-2021
VISA ISSUED...
05-03-2021
LANDED..........
19-04-2021
You need to submit valid ID and Address proof for SIN.

(a) If you've opened a bank account in Canada, download the credit card bill which has your address on it
(b) or ask your educational institution in Canada to issue an official letter on their letterhead recognizing you as a valid full-time student and address it to you.
(c) If you have a valid rental agreement with your landlord, with your name on it and the address clearly mentioned, upload that as a proof of address.

The proof for your SIN application, needs to have your Canadian Address on it. Your study permit will not, as it is issued at the Port of Entry (Address isn't mentioned)

--

I applied online too, and received a letter of refusal in a week. I resubmitted the application with a letter from my institution and the credit card bill as proof of address. It was accepted and I got the SIN via mail 3 weeks after that.

promisedprodigy

Star Member
Dec 29, 2021
You misunderstand
You need to submit valid ID and Address proof for SIN.

(a) If you've opened a bank account in Canada, download the credit card bill which has your address on it
(b) or ask your educational institution in Canada to issue an official letter on their letterhead recognizing you as a valid full-time student and address it to you.
(c) If you have a valid rental agreement with your landlord, with your name on it and the address clearly mentioned, upload that as a proof of address.

The proof for your SIN application, needs to have your Canadian Address on it. Your study permit will not, as it is issued at the Port of Entry (Address isn't mentioned)
You misunderstand. I already uploaded proof of address. The website states that the primary identification document may be a work/study permit, which is what I uploaded, the unacceptability of which was also the reason my application got rejected.