+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

SIMPLE QUESTION

foreverwaiting

Star Member
Dec 16, 2008
It just boils down to a simple question :-

With the economic situation as it is, is this a right time to land in Canada?

Is this like jumping into the fire or is it a case of 'chicken livered'?

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Not Canada's economy as a whole but some provinces are in better shape than the others. This is global economy crisis and will hit all indiscriminately later or sooner. We have to see how soon these developed counties comes out of it. You need to select a province where jobless rates are lower than the other and land, you may not find your favorite job right away, but hopefully when this dust clears up, you will be in good shape and start looking for the right job. If you are currently working in a good position, just keep on working until you are near to your visa expiry date and then do a landing, this way you will go to Canada when the recession may be near to be over.

foreverwaiting

Star Member
Dec 16, 2008
Thanks for the reply guys!

That is the whole point. My visa expires May 09 and I had planned to land in April 09 before the economic bubble burst. I don't mind taking job at a lower level, but I would hate doing "labour" or "pizza delivery" kind of jobs (no offence to anyone please). Also don't you think that just going by unemployment percentage may not be a very accurate criteria for selecting province? For example Ontario may have a high level of unemployment rate in comparision to other provinces, but it is believed that most of the unemployment is in the manufacturing sector. So in essence, for a worker not in manufacturing field, this unemployment rate would not reflect the true data in his/her field of employment. Though on second thoughts, I do agree that some of those unemployed (or rather most) in the manufacturing sector would be knocking doors in other employment areas thereby causing further competition in an already depressed job scenario.

Any idea what chances does an English educated newly landed immigrant have in landing an office administration/assistant kind of a job in and around Toronto region without much of a reference?

Thanks for taking out the time to read my views!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Of course everybody should check the job market for jobs in their field in particular. For example, if you work in the oil field, there's no use going to a province with no oil. Or if you are a marine biologist, you will probably not get much work in SK or MB.

You should look for jobs online and see where you have the best opportunities. Also keep in mind that the unemployment percentage is also important when it comes to finding an interrim job to get yourself started. So while in on city, you might have more opportunities in your field but until you get your foot in the door, you might have to deliver pizza. While maybe in some other city, you have slightly less opportunites in your field but easier to get a better than pizza job in the interrim. But you have to do this research yourself.